Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie need Opinion On Filter, Pump, Water Treatment Combo.

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie need Opinion On Filter, Pump, Water Treatment Combo.

Im about to install a inground pool and spa. One of my builder said Salt system is good and couple other builder say stay with chlorine.
    another builder suggested Ozone / mineral sanitizer and auto chlorine feeder.

Please give me your opinion. What would you get? Ozone or Salt? Is there a good read material regarding different systems?

This is the Ozone combo one builder will include with the pool install.
    408sq ft surface
    pool equipment
    Paramount Clear O3 ozone pure water. 55000 gal cap
    Pentair Rainbow Model 300/320 Auto chlorine/Bromine Feeder
    Pentair intelliflo vs3050 variable speed pump
    Zodiac Nature 2 Mineral sanitizer for pool
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Pentair PoolShark
    Pentair master temp hi perf heater

I plan to also get solar panel for solar heating.

Thanks in advance for your opinion and advice.
    14000K gal 400sq ft w 6x8 spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050, Pentair cart filter, Pentair Master Temp, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Easy Touch 8, wireless control. 3x intellibrite LED light. Pentair Kreepy Krauley Sand Shark. Solar Panel Plumbing. 2 x 24 inch arc sheer 24" spa spill way.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie need Opinion On Filter, Pump, Water Treatment Combo.

Welcome to TFP!

The SWG (salt system) is by far my favorite choice. I would stay far away from mineral sanitizer systems. Ozone is not especially useful in a pool, can be handy in a spa.

Take a look at SWG and alternative sanitizers for more information.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Goldline (Hayward) AquaRite SWG. It keeps things pretty simple. Salt/SWG for normal use, 6% bleach for shocking or 'boosting' the chlorine level before a swim party, and muratic acid (MA) for keeping the PH in line. 8)
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

4. Back To Top    #4

SWG.

Avoid Ozone and Mineral Systems. Sunlight will do the same job as Ozone, for free, and mineral systems are not practical for pools and not worth the money charged for the products.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Seems like there is no love for mineral sanitizer and ozone combo. I see much loyal SWG followers, Why is it that the pool builders dont like them?

I am in Southern California, The pool will face west.. Plenty of sun light all day for the pool and Solar heating. So if Sunlight is Free Ozone, sounds good to me.

I will stay with the pentair cart filter and intelliflow pump.

What brand of SWG would you get if you can start from scratch? I will do water maintenance myself so the lease amount of maintenance the better.
    14000K gal 400sq ft w 6x8 spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050, Pentair cart filter, Pentair Master Temp, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Easy Touch 8, wireless control. 3x intellibrite LED light. Pentair Kreepy Krauley Sand Shark. Solar Panel Plumbing. 2 x 24 inch arc sheer 24" spa spill way.

6. Back To Top    #6

Most pool builders do like SWGs, according to one industry study, over 70% of the pools built in the US have a SWG.

The builders who don't like SWGs are mostly responding to some cases where inferior materials were used and the problems got blamed on the SWG and to cases where people didn't do any water testing, thinking the SWG was taking care of everything, and then blamed the builder because their terrible poor water balance caused damage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by fkong777
    Why is it that the pool builders dont like them? What brand of SWG would you get if you can start from scratch?
    I had quotes from 3 different pool builders: Two strongly recommended the SWG, and the 3rd had it as an upgrade. The one that wasn't really pushing it listed it as an upgrade. All of them stated that it didn't prevent normal water monitoring and adjusting but made management easier.
    For us, it was an easy choice: The Goldline (Hayward) AquaRite SWG 8) .

The pool builder that listed it as an upgrade ended up putting in a pool for one of our neighbors using Baquacil: The neighbor used the Baq system for 2 years, had lots of trouble with it , then converted over to BBB last summer and put in a SWG ! They are happy with their pool now!
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!