Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tri-Chlor and CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Tri-Chlor and CYA

Has anyone figured out a way, short of replacing water, to keep the CYA levels from increasing higher and higher as the season progresses? I'm using stabilized Tri-Chlor 3" tabs.
    Apologies if this topic has been posted before or stickied somewhere.

Thanks -
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tri-Chlor and CYA

To put it in the simplest terms I can...you need to stop using Tri-chlor, Di-chlor or anything else besides plain old bleach to sanitize your water.

16 x 36 IG Vinyl, 20,000 gal, chlorine, built 2001
    Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter S210T
    All in with TFP , testing with tf-100

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Replace water or don't use trichlor, those are your only options.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerman View Post
    Has anyone figured out a way, short of replacing water, to keep the CYA levels from increasing higher and higher as the season progresses? I'm using stabilized Tri-Chlor 3" tabs.
    Apologies if this topic has been posted before or stickied somewhere.

Thanks -

stop!!!!!!!!!! " I'm using stabilized Tri-Chlor 3" tabs."..........STOP DOING THIS AND USE GOOD OLD BLEACH!!!
    13,995 gallons 24 X 52 / above ground pool.../.SWG/ sand filter/ vinyl liner

5. Back To Top    #5

The reason people are nagging on you is because those tabs actually keep raising your CYA. Most of us use plain old bleach or liquid chlorine which has no CYA in it. We get our CYA in a good range and then dose our FC accordingly. See this: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds to me like a retired butcher walking into his old shop and asking for tofu

Who ya gonna call? Chlor-busters.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

7. Back To Top    #7

Message received LOUD AND CLEAR. I have used bleach in the past. Honestly, I just got tired of lugging those jugs around. One fell over once. It leaked and destroyed the carpet in my Tahoe. OK, so . . . till something comes along to prevent the increased build up of CYA, I'll go back to juggin' it. I've been adequately corrected.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just as a follow-up to being thoroughly chastised for falling from TFP grace by using tabs, I discovered one of our Wal-Mart stores is selling 10% Liquid Chlorine this season for $2.50/gal. A five-gallon 10% from a local chemical company is $35.

9. Back To Top    #9

Tablets can be used in limited circumstances without issue ... like in areas with short seasons, where they partially drain for winter, and/or get a LOT of rain to dilute the CYA build up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Yes, I believe the chastising got a bit excessive, especially with this little tidbit: there is nothing in TFP that prohibits the use of pucks. TFP is about knowing what is in the stuff you put in your water and following the FC/CYA chart. Pucks are generally a bad idea because it starts to get out of hand as the CYA rises, but if someone is completely OK with the necessary water changes then the use of pucks is their business. It is something that annoys me a bit that people believe you MUST use liquid chlorine. It is by far the best option as it does not add anything but chlorine and salt, but that doesn't make it the only option.

However, there are no magic CYA-free pucks (there are cal-hypo sticks but they require a special feeder and then you have the CH rising problem) and no magic potion that makes CYA disappear (despite BioActive's claims). If you use pucks you have to reduce your CYA through water dilution, no way out of that. If you can't change the water and want to avoid lugging jugs you can opt for an SWG or use lithium-hypochlorite instead. Lithium-hypo is insanely expensive compared to liquid chlorine but is an option.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits