Hello from Sunny California!

Jun 8, 2016
Tulare, CA
Hello! Not really a newbie, but at the hand of local pool stores, my self-confidence in maintaining my pool has taken a real hit!

I grew up taking care of our family in-ground vinyl pool many years ago and never found it to be a chore of any kind. I did the vac work, cleaned the filter, and maintained Chlorine and Ph levels and never had issue with algae. Fast forward 40 years and I how have a nice home with a great pool -- but a pool that has been giving me trouble for quite some time.

I’ll try to make this short. First, take a look at my Avatar and you will see what the pool looks like. It has an irregular shape with a 55’ swim lane, 7’ – 8’ deep center tank, and a 12’ diameter 18” deep half-moon sun shelf, and three waterfall and fountain features.
lfbc34d45-m16o.jpg

After spending a few months fighting off algae and discovering a CYA level that was “off the charts” and phosphates were at 400, I decided to flush, chlorine wash, and refill the pool a couple of weeks ago (the pool had not been flushed in the seven years the former owners had the house). So, I am currently trying to condition the water and get the chemistry correct. A question about finding the chlorine level always being low (except 24 to 48 hours after 2lb shock) is what drove me to this site.

I’ve read through a few posts already and will be purchasing the test kit right away (seems like that is the first and best thing to do!) and will share numbers when I have them – a tutorial on using the calculator would be a good thing if someone has the time to explain it well.

Excited to have found this group and hope to learn and share more as the days go by!

Attachments

• 20150715_134623.jpg
    20150715_134623.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 19
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: That's a fantastic pool design. Until your test kit arrives (great decision by the way), I would simply rely on adding about 1 gallon of regular bleach each day to the water. Once you can post your own first test results, we'll help you get dialed-in to accuracy and avoid not only algae, but also the high cost of over-priced pool store chemicals - most of which you don't need anyway. :)

Nice to have you with us.

Welcome to TFP. Great to have you here. Beautiful pool!

I think you found the link to the PoolMath calculator at the top of every page here. There's also an article with a guided tour. You can open two instances of TroubleFreePool.com with PoolMath open in one and the article in the other. (not sure of the terminology, but two tabs in your browser so you can go back and forth)

Then just follow the example, and you'll get some practice with PoolMath.
Pool School - PoolMath