Scaling, TA

Jun 9, 2014
SD
This is my second summer with the TFP method. I have some scaling and high TA and wondering what suggestions are out there.

My numbers:
FC = 6
CC = .5
PH = 7.4
TA = 150
CYA = 50
CH = 175 (pool store hardness sample = 354)

I have a vinyl liner, so I thought the CH doesn't matter that much. However, I notice a 'whiteish' ring at the water line. In the past I added scale inhibitor under the pool store method. Should I add some of this to bring down my CH?

My TA is high from last summer (pre TFP!) when the pool store had me add an insane amount of sodium bicarb. I never have luck bringing down the TA - I drop ph and aerate without much change.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

A ring only at the water line isn't really scaling. It's just residue from evaporation. Plugging numbers into poolmath, you're not close to scale, even if the pool store CH was right.

I'd raise the water level to submerge the ring for a couple days, and then put one of the kids to work with a nylon scrub brush or one of those green pot scrubber things. If that doesn't get rid of it for a while, then wait for it to resurface and spritz it with 1:5 muriatic acid and water mix and scrub on it then. That's easiest from inside the pool, and you can just splash water on it to rinse it away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.