Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward super pump died

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward super pump died

Hi

I am looking for a recommendation on a new pool pump. Mine died yesterday. Sigh.

I am thinking of a variable speed pump for the energy savings but based on my current setup (old) and small pool size (15000g), I am not sure I would achieve any savings.

I currently have a Hayward Super pump (Sp-1607-z1-m 1hp), crystal flo t200bp-1 sand filter and my piping is likely 1.5 inches. I also have a turbo skimmer with the single jet.

Can you recommend a new pump based on my current setup, and give your opinion on if a VS pump can achieve any savings? I have seen some references that smaller pools do not reap as many benefits from VS. living in Canada where pool is open for maybe 4-5 months it will take longer to recoup any savings. Also, fwhat I have read a 3/4 hp pump may have been a better match for my size, sound right?

Thanks
    B

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward super pump died

A 3/4 HP or 1 HP pump would be plenty for your pool. There is a middle ground between a single speed and a variable speed pump: a two-speed pump. It gives you the ability to run at a lower RPM but does not increase the cost of the pump by a substantial amount. Check out pricing at various sites. If you become a contributor here at TFP, we've recently added a new benefit of discounts on purchase at the site where you can start your search below:

Swimming Pool Pumps - Pool Pump - INYOPools.com

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    A 3/4 HP or 1 HP pump would be plenty for your pool. There is a middle ground between a single speed and a variable speed pump: a two-speed pump. It gives you the ability to run at a lower RPM but does not increase the cost of the pump by a substantial amount. Check out pricing at various sites. If you become a contributor here at TFP, we've recently added a new benefit of discounts on purchase at the site where you can start your search below:
    My pool place is suggesting the energy efficient single speed Hayward 1/2 hp Tri-Star sp3205ee. Given the current electricity prices (18 cent pkwh - peak), the fact that my pool is smaller (operating less time), and the fact that the pool season is shorter here (4 months), I may not recoup the extra cost of the pump for many years.

The tristar mentions 2 to 2.5 inch plumbing, but I am running 1.5 inch, will this be an issue?

4. Back To Top    #4

That pump would be fine as well. 2" and 2.5" plumbing are likely mentioned because larger diameter plumbing is more efficient as well. An adapter can be used to fit the pump to any size pool plumbing if needed.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons