Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinator 320

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinator 320

My chlorinator does not show water flow (with the cover open) when I switch the pump suction valve to main drain position. It shows flow when the valve is switched to 'skimmers' position. I am not sure why this is happening. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinator 320

Where the water is sucked from should not have any impact on the chlorinator (which of course we rarely recommend using anyway).

Does the filter pressure change depending on main drain vs. skimmer suction?
    Does the return jet strength change?

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

jblizzle, This old dog can learn a new new tricks. I added my signature along with other pertinent info. about the pool. Thanks for the suggestion. As I went back to look, the Chlorinator is not working. There is no pressure difference when switching from main to skimmers or halfway. I installed a new check valve at the suggestion of the pool store which did not help. I saw someone on youtube installing Pentair hi flow feed kit. It sounds like something I may need to try. I am still open for other suggestions/ideas.
    Andy49
    12K, IG, Plaster, DE, Install 1992, Spa, Polaris Sport, Rainbow Chlorinator 320, Taylor 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

In Texas I would ditch the chlorinator altogether and get away from using Trichlor because the CYA is going to climb until you have to replace water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with JB that you should think about another mode of chlorination, but lets see if we can get the feeder working since it's already plumbed. Then you could at least use it for vacations, etc..

Has the feeder ever worked?

Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is shut off?

Are you sure it's working when on skimmers?

Where in the system is the feeder plumbed?

Is the flow arrow pointed in the right direction?

If you take the tubing loose at the feeder does any water flow out of it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

another mode of chlorination- I assume that somewhere in the forum there are posts on alternate mode of chlorination. I will look into it.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]Has the feeder ever worked? Yes, for the longest time. I replaced the tabs regularly

Does the pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is shut off?-Yes

Are you sure it's working when on skimmers? It is not. It was temporary

Where in the system is the feeder plumbed? On the discharge side after the heater and before the three port valve directing the water to either the spa or the pool.

Is the flow arrow pointed in the right direction? Yes

If you take the tubing loose at the feeder does any water flow out of it?-Yes
    Thanks for your help.
    Andy49
    12K, IG, Plaster, DE, Install 1992, Spa, Polaris Sport, Rainbow Chlorinator 320, Taylor 2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

When you replaced the check valve did you make sure to install it in the correct orientation?

Did you clean out the base when you had the check valve out?

Have you checked to make sure the valve at the bottom is opening when you turn it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I have taken the DE filter apart. So now is the time for me to remove the chlorination and inspect it to see if I see anything unusual.
    Andy49

10. Back To Top    #10

Good news. I lubed everything and used silicone adhesive at small screw on fittings. The chlorinator is working now. It's time get the yellow out now.
    Andy49