Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CH what to do.

1. Back To Top    #1

High CH what to do.

Hello all,
    I have been hanging around getting great info from the site and thought it's time to sign up, so here I am.
    I tested my chemicals yesterday and found that my CH levels are high, now I went to the pool calculator and plugged in my #'s and the recommendation is to do a 30% drain & refill. My kid's have been swimming everyday for 2 weeks now and splashing out I would guess at least 50 gallons a day, should I re-check my CH level in the near future or do the drain & refill now?, also I read here that spotting or molting can result from high CH to which my gray plaster has done.

CC - 10
    PH - 7.4
    TA - 100
    CYA - 60
    CH - 425
    15 X 28, 12,000 Gallon, (IG) Freeform Dark Gray Plaster/Gunite with attached 10 X 7 Spa raised 18", 7 Jet with Spillover and Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall/Grotto, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Matstertemp, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Suction Side PoolShark Cleaner, Stenner pump, autofill system, Plumbed for future Solar, TF-Testkit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CH what to do.

Is your fill water high in CH?

You're is high but no extraordinary, the main issue is keeping the PH and TA in range which would prevent scaling issues. The high CH is likely a result of it being new in October. You are concerned with spots on your plaster- can you post pics? I would think any issues relating to the plaster finish may be an issue with your builder? (Correct me if I'm wrong here, folks.)

Is that a test typo CC-10 - is that supposed to be FC?

How are you testing your water (kit type)?

I honestly don't see anything in your results that would indicate the need to drain and refill.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

At 425 you really do not have to drain the pool. Adjust your pH and TA to maintain the CSI around 0. You can use the Pool Calculator to do this.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes that should be FC thanks, the test kit I use is the Taylor K-2005. I will try and post a pic tomorrow of the spotting.
    15 X 28, 12,000 Gallon, (IG) Freeform Dark Gray Plaster/Gunite with attached 10 X 7 Spa raised 18", 7 Jet with Spillover and Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall/Grotto, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Matstertemp, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Suction Side PoolShark Cleaner, Stenner pump, autofill system, Plumbed for future Solar, TF-Testkit.