Leaking pipe/hose connection

May 17, 2016
New Orleans, LA
Hello!

Recently bought a house and I just managed to get the pool from swamp to clean and now there is a major leak forcing me to turn the pump off completely until it gets fixed. I went outside and I noticed the pump was making a weird noise and wasn't pumping water, turns out it had no pressure/suction. I turned it off, let it sit and tried again and then that's when I noticed the leak.

There seems to be a crack in the connection that goes to (or from?) the booster pump. When the main pump is on, water shoots out of the crack at a high rate/volume (coincidentally it sprays right at the electrical box...).

I'm pretty new to pool maintenance and systems. To be honest I don't know what I'm supposed to use the booster pump for! Hoping I don't have to call a pool guy to come fix it.

Here's a couple of photos of the crack and the overall system

Thanks for any help!

View attachment 49688

View attachment 49689

I'm new to operating a pool too so welcome! If you're handy and the black piece connected to the PVC can be unscrewed. you can cut the pipe yourself and replace that connection. Cut at the PVC coupling. I think that's 1 1/2 piping so you will need to go to your local hardware store and get the connection pieces to redo that transition to the pipe. I know the PVC coupling is one piece but I can't tell what the part sitting above that is. Like I said I'm new to this.

Thanks for the help!

That top white part kind of looks like this (I have no idea)

schedule-40-pvc-reducer-bushing-mpt-fpt_15.jpg

Apparently called a "PVC Reducer Bushing"? I wonder if it would be as simple as getting a new piece like this and unscrewing the old one out.

Look at the piece and note the size. I'm sure it's either 1 1/2" or 2". If you can tighten the piece that's there I would try that first. If the leak don't stop try to un-tighten it so you can remove it and replace it with the PVC Reducer Bushing of the same size. If that don't work as long as you can get that blank piece separated, with out breaking it, you can do what I mentioned above. Cut the pipe with a hacksaw or a sawzall (the pro's will let you know if this is a bad idea) and replace both pieces. But try the tighten it first before you go all Tim Allen on it. lol

Yeah I'll definitely try unscrewing the parts before hacking away at it.

I don't think tightening will help though because there's an actual crack in the plastic. In the picture you can see the crack/black line at the end of where the arrow points.

Ahh... yes I see it. Is that putty between the reducer and the part going into it? In addition, I hope the outside of the reducer is threaded and not smooth. If it's smooth it may be glued to the piece it's connected to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.