How much chlorine should I be adding? 20,000 Gal. 90-100 degrees.

Apr 9, 2016
FRESNO
I am using about a half a gallon a day of chlorine in a 20,000 gallon pool. Temps are around 90-100 degrees. Cyanuric acid is about 30. This seems like a lot chlorine, I was wondering if this is about right?

I am using about a half a gallon a day of chlorine in a 20,000 gallon pool. Temps are around 90-100 degrees. Cyanuric acid is about 30. This seems like a lot chlorine, I was wondering if this is about right?
I'm surprised that is all you are using, with temps that high. I am using 1/2 gal right now and the thermometer has yet to hit 90 in the Northeast (Close but not yet and certainly not consistently).

Come late July/August, I expect to use 3/4 gallons/day.

That sounds about right.

I was going through 2 gallons per week on a 23,000 gallon pool last year. (CYA 70)

If you bump your CYA up to 50 it might use a bit less if you get full sun on the water all day.

It would be better for you to look at this as how many ppm you are adding. In a 20K gallon pool, 68oz equates to:
6% CL= 1.6ppm
8.25% CL= 2.3ppm
10% CL= 2.7ppm
12.5% CL= 3.3ppm

Also, the higher you go over your target the more you will lose during the day.

I avg about 3-4 ppm daily in my pool with regular usage at 85 deg temps. I target 7 ppm with a CYA of 40 ppm. I target a few ppm higher than recommended due to a lot of organic matter contamination (under two large trees, constant debris & occasional bird droppings).

What is your FC goal & how do you test?

Dom

i bought the total kit from this site, but have not started using it yet. I have just been taking samples into the store and using a simple kit I got a Walmart to test the chlorine daily. The pool does get full sun all day. (Fresno, CA) I have a CYA of 30 ppm and would like to use as little chlorine as possible.

In order to keep my chlorine in the proper range, (1-5 ppm) it seems like i have to add daily. I was wondering how pool guys are able to add just once a week.

i bought the total kit from this site, but have not started using it yet. I have just been taking samples into the store and using a simple kit I got a Walmart to test the chlorine daily. The pool does get full sun all day. (Fresno, CA) I have a CYA of 30 ppm and would like to use as little chlorine as possible.

In order to keep my chlorine in the proper range, (1-5 ppm) it seems like i have to add daily. I was wondering how pool guys are able to add just once a week.

I am adding 10% chlorine purchased from Walmart.

Pool guys usually blast the pool with shock once a week covers up a multitude of sins until the CYA gets to high, then the mistrie chemical start getting used. I would do as Borjis suggested bump up the CYA just be sure to adjust your FC target up as well. A cover can also reduce the FC consumption a bit but I suspect in Fresno the pool might get too hot if you leave it on all the time. Your other option if it gets to be a hassle is look into a SWG

With a CYA of 30 ppm your minimum FC level is 2 ppm, with a target of 4 ppm (CHLORINE/CYA CHART)

You should never let your FC hover at, or go below the minimum FC level per your CYA or you risk an algae bloom and other (eg. bacterial/viral) unsanitary conditions.

The proper range for your FC is always based on your CYA level.

Why are you not yet using your own test kit? You now have the proper tools to care for your pool yourself. Mixing pool $tore advise and TFP methods doesn't work.

Please take the time to do a full set of tests for FC, CC, PH, CYA, TA, & CH, and share the results with us.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.