20,000 Pool with old system

Jul 27, 2014
Lexington, SC
I have a 20,000 gal pool and the old single speed 7 year old motor just died. The system uses 1.5 in pipes with 2 skimmers and one main drain. Here are my concerns.

1. The Tagelus sand filter is rated at 40 GPM when my pool should have at least a 42 GPM flow capacity.
2. The filter valve is old style and leaky. I replaced gaskets and valve last year but still not a solid valve and requires me to resettle the position of the valve to stop leaks.
3. The motor is dead, single speed and was an electrical HOG.
4. The pump assembly is a flip top and works ok. Have trouble with the flip top gasket from time to time.

I am considering replacing individual components, but maybe replacing it all makes since.

Pictures added.

Advice please?

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 53
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 53
Personally, I'd bite the bullet and replace the filter and pump with a good quality Pentair or Hayward set of equipment just to get rid of all those pesky/annoying issues and also the bigger ones of course. That pump was not only inefficient but also much louder than a new 2-speed pump will on low (which is what it will be on most of time). Though I'm sure there are cheaper approaches too.

We'd love to see an overall shot of your pool area.

I have a 20,000 gal pool and the old single speed 7 year old motor just died. The system uses 1.5 in pipes with 2 skimmers and one main drain. Here are my concerns.

1. The Tagelus sand filter is rated at 40 GPM when my pool should have at least a 42 GPM flow capacity.
2. The filter valve is old style and leaky. I replaced gaskets and valve last year but still not a solid valve and requires me to resettle the position of the valve to stop leaks.
3. The motor is dead, single speed and was an electrical HOG.
4. The pump assembly is a flip top and works ok. Have trouble with the flip top gasket from time to time.

1. - How did you arrive at the need for 42 GPM required for your pool?

2 - 4. Looks like you need to replace the pump. It would be cheaper to only replace the dry end of the pump, but sounds like you don't like the wet end either so a full replacement would be a better result. CERTAINLY look at a two-speed or variable speed pump for replacement. A 3/4 to 1 HP would be enough for your pool. On the filter valve... you could either just replace the valve or replace the entire sand filter. I would look at costs of doing each and if you feel the replacement valve will be as durable as perhaps switching to another brand with a better/newer MPV design.

Thanks for the info. bmoreswim attaching picture. JVTrain, I got 42 GPM from another web site, calculated by assumption to cycle all 20,000 gal of pool water in 8 hours.... 20,000/8 = 2500 GPH, 2500 GPH/60 = 42 GPM. However not sure if this is a true requirement.

Attachments

• pool6.jpg
    pool6.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 36
Pump run time is a factor of several things:

Chlorination needs if using a SWG
Mixing of chemicals
Keeping the water clear
Keeping the surface skimmed

Most people run their pump more than needed to do the above. Often only a few hours a day are needed.

Turnover of water is not one of the factors to determine pump run time (though it is a common/well ingrained misconception).

Beautiful backyard...thanks for sharing.

Yes agreed, the current system looses suction and when autostarting the pump it taxes the pump to regain suction so I have been manually starting stopping it each day.

I like your list :)
Chlorination needs if using a SWG
Mixing of chemicals
Keeping the water clear
Keeping the surface skimmed

And, now that my motor has burned up, vacuuming the bottom of the pool will be an issue in about a week.

Funny on your motor (not really) I'm on day 6 without a motor. Still clear but I am manually chlorinating and have my autocover closed for cleanliness (and now warmth retention again).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.