Staining Pavers

IrwinK

Apr 25, 2016
Orlando, FL
PB installed concrete pavers for my pool area under construction and they don't match my existing pavers under adjoining covered Lanai.

You can see a bit of those in the foreground of the picture below.

PB will not fix without charge for labor. Had told me they would not be an exact match yet he had taken pictures and samples when he ordered the Oldcastle Appian Amaretto Pavers.

I posted about this in my construction thread where you can read more http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/113306-New-Pool-Orlando-Florida but didn't receive much response.

So, posting here hoping someone had same problem and fixed.

I have several thoughts about solving this that range from covering the lanai portion with indoor outdoor carpet, staining some of the pavers, replacing the lanai pavers, to living with it.

Pavers_zpsaec7o4cp.jpg

It looks different depending on the light. When it gets wet there is more of a difference.

I think I'll use some bleach & pressure wash the ones under the lanai. They were sitting with mud on them from the pool construction and that might have stained them.

Eventually with water in the pool, the screen enclosure, outdoor furniture and some indoor/outdoor rugs probably only I'll know they differ.:???:

Main thing now is to get the pool finished!!

Hi. Are the pavers the same manufacturer and type (name of color) for both new and existing? If so the difference can be attributed to aging of the previous pavers or just different manufacturing lots. Even within the same shipments of stone you can get varying shades. If they are different brands (maybe the existing was no longer avail?) then you'll be hard pressed to get a perfect match. It would more luck than anything. They will look different soon enough and hopefully blend nicely. They look good already, I'd say you can't get much closer on a match between new and old. My "new" paver patio has changed considerably in a month. Lots of trees dropping stuff though but still it's not a brand new look anymore. I wouldn't spend the money to replace them. Pressure washing will likely help with the existing ones but be careful you don't wash out the poly sand. That can be hard to match up when replacing too.

A different idea; what if where the two different bricks butt up to each other you find the same size, but radically different color 'border' brick to differentiate the two areas. I see the point of desiring the same but since they are different maybe this would set them apart - lanai vs. pool area. I have a line of drainage channel this is my kids boundary not to cross until I am next to them. Then once the screen enclosure goes up it look like it was done on purpose. Just an idea, feel free to roast it ;)

I do see what you are talking about and it would bother me too. However, I'd TRY real hard to squelch my perfectionism and realize it looks fantastic. You made great design and material choices, and when it's finished, you probably won't ever even think about it.
I agonized over our hardwood flooring install, because it was done over three years and during that time the manufacturer was purchased by a larger company and they renamed our color. I fretted endlessly and was sure the differences in stain lots were blatantly obvious. No one ever noticed, and even when I pointed it out, they disagreed.
I think it's gorgeous. (However, I'll also mention that power washers are a ton of fun. ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bet after you fill the pool and get your patio furniture or whatever you will no longer be concerned at all. My original back patio has dark red ceramic tile, and the pavers which now butt up against it are a very light tan. I, too, was anxious at first, but now we do not even notice it. Nor have any guests ever mentioned it.

Besides, in your case, you can just say that all the reflections from the crystal clear water makes the closest pavers look prettier :)

With your beautiful pool and beautiful view the difference in pavers is really not noticeable! Especially after some pool furniture and maybe a few strategically placed container flower pots... It may bug you for a little while but I bet not for long! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.