New Here- Air In Pump!

Jun 8, 2016
Vestavia Hills
Hello,

First time poster here and very excited to find this forum.

Pool was running great overnight with suction cleaner and woke up to find cleaner not running with bubbles all in pool! (Air coming out of return line every 2 or 3 second)

The strainer basket now has air in it when the valve is fully open, but when i close it a bit the pump primes fine but when I plug in the suction cleaner it loses prime immediately and almost becomes empty of water with zero pressure.

I have a brand new strainer gasket as well as top and have checked the pumps plug and all look fine. Also there are no visible leaks anywhere when i try the towel test as well as water hose test?

I am afraid I have a suction leak under the 3 feet of concrete by the skimmer...........Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Alex

Welcome! :wave:

The key phrase is "when I plug in the suction cleaner it loses prime immediately".

That says there's something wrong with the suction hose or the connection or the valve to it. Which valve are you closing a bit to let the pump prime? The one that splits suction between the cleaner and the skimmer?

If you can prime and run fine with full skimmer and no cleaner, then you can eliminate the pump and skimmer section and concentrate on the rest. A picture of your equipment pad and a little better description of the problem will help us help you isolate the air leak. Posting Photo's Tutorial

My pool is original to the house in 1954 so I only have the Skimmer which connects directly to the pump with a shut off valve right before the pump.

I attach the suction cleaner to the bottom of the skimmer and it immediately loses prime.(The suction hose is brand new and works for 2 seconds when pump is turned on then quits)

Also when i open the valve all the way open there are bubbles in the pump. Also not sure if this matters but the drain is sealed off as well.

My pool is original to the house in 1954 so I only have the Skimmer which connects directly to the pump with a shut off valve right before the pump.

I attach the suction cleaner to the bottom of the skimmer and it immediately loses prime.(The suction hose is brand new and works for 2 seconds when pump is turned on then quits)

Also when i open the valve all the way open there are bubbles in the pump. Also not sure if this matters but the drain is sealed off as well.
When the skimmer valve is open wide and you see bubbles in the pump basket, do you also see a vortex in the skimmer? Or is there a loud sucking sound almost like a toilet flushing?

It sounds like two problems: Low water and a leaking cleaner hose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The line from the skimmer to the pump is below water level.....Im glad you said that, that means it has to been some of the exposed PVC correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible that the pump itself is making the issue? Thats the only other possibility I can think of?

I was really hoping the shaving cream would should be where the air leak was...

Once again i really appreciate your help here!

What I am still stuck on is when the valve is fully open it has air in pump but at 3/4 open it primes. That means it has to be the valve that is the issue you would think, but even when its primed and you plug the suction cleaner to the skimmer it loses prime after 1 or 2 seconds

I tested that as well... with the pump off and lid open i turned the valve off and on.

Does connecting a suction cleaner cause the pressure to increase which would make more air pull in through a potential leak?
Yes. Well, almost. On the suction side it would be a decrease in pressure, more commonly known as more suction.

If you have flex PVC or PEX pipes, they can collapse.

I appreciate the help Richard, do you recommend me just trying to replace the valve since this is the only thing that really makes sense at this point?
No. Not unless you're sure that is where the leak is.

Get the thing to where it's sucking air again and coat the whole things with shaving cream, even all the plumbing joints. Something should draw it in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.