Question about what to do

Hello, I just opened my pool yesterday and discovered a few problems. First, a little history, this is my second full season with a pool. Last year opening went simple and I had clear water pretty quick, although I opened a month earlier. I closed it with the help of the previous owner the past two seasons. Last year I just kinda did what the pool store told me, and it went ok. Although I kept getting a little bit of algae every few weeks.

Problems:
1) The water was green and I couldnt see the bottom
2) The control panel LCD doesnt show anything
3) I screwed up closing the pool, and some squirrels decided to store some acorns in my return line.

Problem 3 was easily fixed with my blower vac.

I was planning to get the pool clean before worrying about the control panel. The pump turns on and runs when the breaker at the control panel is on. I just wont be able to do anything with the SWG until the control panel is fixed. Pump and filter have been going for about 15 hours. I have backwashed maybe 3-4 times.

so Problem 1
:
After reading around this website, I was thinking I should SLAM the pool. I ordered a TF-100 kit, but it will not arrive until sometime next week. Is it ok to start the process before the kit arrives? Should I do something else first?

I have a hth 6 way test kit from walmart that I was able to test chlorine, pH, and Alkalinity. I also have some test strips. From these tests I was able to gather the following info:

TA 80-90
FC 0
CYA 0-30, I think this is 0. the color looks closest to 0, and it was 0 at the start of last season as well.
PH 6.8

I have been trying to get the CYA levels up first. Using Pool Math, I am slowly adding stabilizer via a sock in the skimmer. I have about 8lbs, to get CYA up to 40. I have been slowly adding it to a sock in the skimmer. Ive added about half so far.

Questions:
Should I get the CYA levels up to the recommended value for salt water pools? or maybe just to 40 while getting rid of the algae, then bring it up after?
Can I start SLAMing the pool before the TF-100 kit arrives?
Any advice?

some more details on my setup:
18' x 36'; 25,000 gallons; in ground; vinyl; sand filter; SWG
Hayward S200 Series High Rate
UST1102 1hp pool pump
Aqua Plus Control Panel
Aqua Collection turbo cell SWG?
swamp.jpgsetup.jpgcontrol panel.jpg

I was planning to get the pool clean before worrying about the control panel. Good Plan

After reading around this website, I was thinking I should SLAM the pool. Correct

I ordered a TF-100 kit, but it will not arrive until sometime next week. Good choice. Did you get the XL option for the extra reagents for the SLAM?

Is it ok to start the process before the kit arrives? No

Should I do something else first? Yes, use your net and get as much junk out of the bottom of the pool as possible

I have a hth 6 way test kit from walmart that I was able to test chlorine, pH, and Alkalinity. I also have some test strips. From these tests I was able to gather the following info:

PH 6.8 Use Borax and bring this up to 7.2 Go slowly adding and testing. Don't overshoot

I have been trying to get the CYA levels up first. Using Pool Math, I am slowly adding stabilizer via a sock in the skimmer. I have about 8lbs, to get CYA up to 40. I have been slowly adding it to a sock in the skimmer. Ive added about half so far. Only add to get to 30.

Should I get the CYA levels up to the recommended value for salt water pools? or maybe just to 40 while getting rid of the algae, then bring it up after? Only add to get to 30.

Can I start SLAMing the pool before the TF-100 kit arrives? No

Any advice? While you wait for your TF-100 to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Answers in red

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Questions:
Should I get the CYA levels up to the recommended value for salt water pools? No! Don't go higher than 40 for now. or maybe just to 40 while getting rid of the algae, then bring it up after? Yes, clear the water and complete SLAM first.
Can I start SLAMing the pool before the TF-100 kit arrives? No, not effectively. But you can add a gallon or two of bleach per day and circulate the pump until the test kit arrives.
Any advice?
I would take the CYA sock out now. It'll be easier to SLAM around 30 ppm and there may be some in there now. By the looks of your pool, it is probably zero but it's worth the wait for now. Start scooping as much debris out of the pool as possible. Backwash only after a 25% rise over clean pressure.

An ammonia test might be in order, but we have some time to decide that.

Edit - Tim has you...you are in good hands. Feel free to post any questions and welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.