Bleach Usage Level

Aug 1, 2015
Wheatfield, NY
The pool chemistry is perfect this year and the water is awesome....thanks to this site.

I am maintaining the FC at 6 in the morning and 4 in the evening, which is exactly what the guide says for my CYA of 50. To do that requires the addition of 2 quarts of 8.25% grocery store bleach every evening.

My question is....does that sound like a lot of bleach needed, or is it in the ballpark?

I am about 30 OZ a day of course depends on pool size. If you get a chance can you fill out your signature with info about your pool? It will help with more accurate answers for questions just like this one. There is a link to edit your signature in the quick links drop down under Rules at the top of the page.

I will say you might be flirting with danger though. I always did the same by keeping mine between 4-6 ppm with a CYA of 50. ONE DAY it dipped to 3 ppm and I got an algae bloom and had to SLAM. I was so upset with myself. It was on a weekend too and kids wanted to swim. So now, just to be on the safe side I try to keep it between 6-10 ppm. If it's at 6, I add.

Also, adding in the evening which I noticed you are doing might be ideal because the chlorine can just fight the nasties at night and not have to fight the sun at the same time

I will say you might be flirting with danger though. I always did the same by keeping mine between 4-6 ppm with a CYA of 50. ONE DAY it dipped to 3 ppm and I got an algae bloom and had to SLAM. I was so upset with myself. It was on a weekend too and kids wanted to swim. So now, just to be on the safe side I try to keep it between 6-10 ppm. If it's at 6, I add.

Also, adding in the evening which I noticed you are doing might be ideal because the chlorine can just fight the nasties at night and not have to fight the sun at the same time

now you got me thinking, especially on "cold" days like today with the sun hiding...good day to just dip the FC enough until the sun comes out tomorrow.

OK, the info is in the sig.

OK, 64 oz. for 14,500 gal. Based on others that posted here it DOES sound a bit high.

The best bleach I can find is at the dollar store - 8.25% for $2.95. Our Walmart does not carry 11%, and they want $3.29 for the 8.25% stuff.

OK, 64 oz. for 14,500 gal. Based on others that posted here it DOES sound a bit high.

The best bleach I can find is at the dollar store - 8.25% for $2.95. Our Walmart does not carry 11%, and they want $3.29 for the 8.25% stuff.
14,500 is an odd volume for a 24' round. What is your average depth? 64oz. of 8.25% bleach in a 14,500 gallon pool works out to an FC loss of about 4 ppm/day. That's not too far above average. How much sun does your pool receive?

8.25% bleach at $2.95/gallon (I assumed gallon, but some bottle at 121 oz., so check) is $35.76/gallon of 100% bleach (easy way to compare it).

I bought 10% pool sanitizer (same chemical, different label) at Meijer for $9.99/4 gallons which works out to $24.98/gallon of 100%. That was on-sale, but now that's up to $12.99/4 gallons of 10%. My last batch was bought at the pool store and was 12.5% pool sanitizer (again, same chemical, different label) for $12.99/4 gallons which works out to $25.98/gallon of 100%. I would shop around for a cheaper bleach source.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I'll get real specific now. My numbers were based on the spec pool dimensions. By actual measurement now, I am treating 13,555 gallons of water +- 71 gallons because of evaporation, refilling, rain and draining. It's classified as a 52" pool.

I'm glad the CL age was mentioned. I hadn't considered that. The new stuff I just bought was 2-3 weeks old. I also had 2 gallons left from last year (from July 2015) that was used in the mix (to get rid of it), but I really didn't notice a difference.

The weather has been changable. It was 80 - 90 last week, but only in the 60's (deg F) this week. Last week I used the new stuff. This week I used the found the old stuff and used it up.

I did investigate alternate sources. The best $ I found was for 12.5% stuff for $16.25 for 4 gallions delivered. That was at a local chemical company. It's a little inconvenient, but I guess i'll go that route.

The pool receives 100% sun - that is when its out.

Thanks for all the help...

So now, just to be on the safe side I try to keep it between 6-10 ppm. If it's at 6, I add.

I do that as well.

Though I don't dose daily, I typically add 1/2 gallon every 4 days, sometimes more if I have a lot of swimmer/guests in a day.

Since getting to know my pools needs it's worked quite well. I'd MUCH rather go a bit over then under.

Speaking of dollar store...well dollar general, mine doesn't carry the 1 gallon jugs of 8.25% a lot of folks have talked about.

They did have 96oz generic with no marking as to strength. They are a dollar each and had recent date codes (within the month)
so I figured I'd give them a try.

1 of them added 2ppm FC to my pool. The other jug with identical mfg date added zero.

I had a similar question. First year maintaining a pool and it is very clear and looks great. We have multiple people in it each day and it has been very sunny and hot recently. I am adding about 80 oz bleach (8.25%) about everyday to maintain chlorine level at 4-5 ppm. I just tested my CYA and it was 30. Is the combination of sunny days and several kids in the pool what is causing me to have to add what seems to me to be quite a bit of bleach? Should I try to raise CYA or continue as is?

My thoughts exactly. This site has me in Walmart more than ever before. That's the one downside I've found :)

I try and avoid the Store of All Evil at all costs. No slight at all to anyone who works there, I just try to make an effort to give my money to the locals when possible.
Luckily I have a supply of 12.5% from the local hardware store.

Look around, at a farm store or other places you may be able to avoid them. But if not it's a necessary evil I would guess :)

I have a dumb question. I have only owned my pool three years, but the several pool stores I visit in Arizona have not ever told me to poor bleach into my pool. Tab chlorine and bags of shock. What am I missing? I want to be in the know.;)

I have a dumb question. I have only owned my pool three years, but the several pool stores I visit in Arizona have not ever told me to poor bleach into my pool. Tab chlorine and bags of shock. What am I missing? I want to be in the know.;)

If I understand you, it's easy....don't go to the pool store and follow TFP BBB

Just checked online - the Walmart Supercenter in North Tonawanda shows they carry the "Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid" - which is 10% - for $2.50.

I have a dumb question. I have only owned my pool three years, but the several pool stores I visit in Arizona have not ever told me to poor bleach into my pool. Tab chlorine and bags of shock. What am I missing?

They make very little money if you don't buy tabs and bags of shock which over a period of time make things worse
making you buy more potions from them.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a similar question. First year maintaining a pool and it is very clear and looks great. We have multiple people in it each day and it has been very sunny and hot recently. I am adding about 80 oz bleach (8.25%) about everyday to maintain chlorine level at 4-5 ppm. I just tested my CYA and it was 30. Is the combination of sunny days and several kids in the pool what is causing me to have to add what seems to me to be quite a bit of bleach? Should I try to raise CYA or continue as is?

I had my pool at 30 cya and found 50 works a little better for less chlorine usage. Yes definitely when you have swimmers it eats up more.

When I have guests over I dose a bit higher knowing the FC is going to drop quite a bit, by the end of the day then test again and add more
if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.