Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Low Flow - Clog?

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Low Flow - Clog?

We have an in ground pool. When opening it the skimmer line has bad flow. It can't even prime the pump.

There is some buildup on the skimmer side of the pipe that has been there for a few years. Chlorine? It feels like rubber.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Low Flow - Clog?

Definitely not chlorine. That is something that should not be there, caulk, plumber's putty or whatever it is. Get as much out as you can. A plumber's snake might help.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

One of those openings should be closed off. I've seen some were there is a flap that is held in place with a screw and it comes loose and then when the flap moves off the hole, the pump will not prime. Sometimes too it is a screwed in plug. Yours looks like maybe it was a screwed in plug and over time is has deteriorated and now is gone.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool supply guy thinks this is 24 years of putting chlorine in the skimmer basket. "Chlorine binder".

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yes do not put the chlorine pucks in the skimmer. Get a floater or the chlorine feeder attached to your system.

Did you plug one of the holes and get it pumping again?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,