Ph 8.2+
    FC 2

I added the necessary MA and Cl and retested

PH 7.8
    FC 6.5

This morning after running the pump all night I got the following

PH 8.2
    FC 5

I lose 75% fc during the day. Is the continuous high PH causing this? I will be doing a full test tonight..
    15,000 ig, pebble tech,sand filter,remodeled in 2007. Glendale, Az
    TF100 w SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph rises overnight

Quote Originally Posted by az240z View Post
    This morning after running the pump all night I got the following

PH 8.2
    Any water fall? SWG? or suction side air leaks that might be causing the water to aerate while running the pump? (Do you see bubbles coming from returns?)
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

what's your TA?
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
    Any water fall? SWG? or suction side air leaks that might be causing the water to aerate while running the pump? (Do you see bubbles coming from returns?)
    No none of these..
    TF100 w SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    what's your TA?
    TA is 120
    CYA 60
    TF100 w SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah - do the full tests. CYA too.

My guess is TA is really high which drives up pH.

And you shouldn't be losing 1.5 ppm FC overnight either. That's an indicator that something else (algae?) is probably going on.

ETA - you beat me to it.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Your TA is a bit high and pH of 7.8 is on the upper end of the recommended scale too. Try pushing your pH down to 7.4 and see if you can keep it around 7.4 to 7.6, if you do that the TA should come down in time, I keep my TA in the 60 to 80 range and pH seems to be much more controllable. If you want to actively push the TA down there is a link in pool school with a process to do that.

Also a FC loss of 1.5ppm over night could be a concern you might have something growing in the water take a look at the SLAM process in pool school and look at the OCLT test criteria. You might want to preform the OCLT test tonight just to be sure things are as they should be.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

8. Back To Top    #8

That TA is high enough to drive pH up quickly.

Work this plan: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tal-alkalinity

My pool is way happier with a TA around 70. pH hovers around 7.5-7.6. The TA will rise throughout the summer with our high TA fill water. I had my down to 70 in April and by last weekend it was up to 90. So I used the process linked above to get it back down to 70.

You should also run another OCLT tonight and be prepared to SLAM. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...loss-test-oclt Losing 75% of FC daily and 1.5 ppm overnight likely means something is consuming your FC.

And I would prioritize the OCLT and FC issue over the TA.

ETA: And now someone else beat me to it...
    Last edited by Cinic; 06-08-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: one step behind all morning
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post

ETA: And now someone else beat me to it...
    Happens to me all the time , it's usually Richard320 doing it to me dude has some ninja typing skills
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    Happens to me all the time , it's usually Richard320 doing it to me dude has some ninja typing skills
    At least we all think the same. He'd get 3 different answers if he went to two pool stores.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't slam until Sunday as company is coming for the weekend. I know some slams should take 3 days, so I may put it off till next Friday when I have 3 days to test.. I will start the TA tonight..
    TF100 w SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Many SLAMs take longer than 3 days too. I think mine took 8 or 9 days.

Keep the FC on the high end until the weekend. Couldn't hurt - and you certainly don't want it to turn green or run out of FC and potentially have other nasties in the water.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by az240z View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't slam until Sunday as company is coming for the weekend. I know some slams should take 3 days, so I may put it off till next Friday when I have 3 days to test.. I will start the TA tonight..
    I'd worry more about the falling FC than the rising pH. You don't want a cloudy and/or green pool for your guests. Drop pH to 7.2 and raise FC to 24 as soon as you can. You might be able to stop an algae bloom before its starts.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

aerator.jpgI adjusted the PH down to 7.2 and added 128 oz of chlorine. I also rigged up an aerator. It does about 150 gallons an hour. Fc is now at 12.5
    TF100 w SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Pool is clear

FC 8.5
    PH 7.8+
    TA 110

MY hose aerator lowered the TA by 10

Losing that much FC means a slam next weekend..
    TF100 w SpeedStir

16. Back To Top    #16

I like your aerator. What did you do? Hook a vacuum hose into a return line and reduce the other end into a garden hose?

And by the way, your aerator didn't lower the TA. The acid (or whatever you used) lowered both the pH and TA. Then the aerator raised the pH w/o causing TA to come back up.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you for correcting me on the PH rise. I have a small electric pump that I'm using. Hooked it to the hose..
    TF100 w SpeedStir