Intex pools, how long do they last ?

Jun 12, 2015
alicante, spain
I posted yesterday with a bunch of questions regarding in ground and above ground pools but at the end of this i asked about temporary/permanent pvc/vinyl pools such as intex and bestway.

Can anyone with these pools tell me how long they've had theirs and what are they best ways to prolong the life of such a pool ? they are pretty cheap here and might help us get swimming for this summer BUT there's no point buying if it's only going to last a year or two.

Any input is very much appreciated, i'd like to hear from people who've had their pools for a while and what have been the pitfalls and bonuses. Plus, we plan to keep ours up all year round (it never freezes or gets much below 50f here in winter) so it'd be good to hear from people doing the same, too.

I know I pass one on my way to work it has been up for a season or two longer than our AGP and we have had it 4 years.
Their son is in a wheelchair, and they have a ramp that protects it, so that may have something to do with the longevity of it, but I am always happy to see that they continue to get another season out of it.

My daughter and I talk about it all the time, if we were to win the lottery I know the first thing she would do (as I would surely drop dead right on the spot) is build them a backyard paradise. Second purchase is a horse for herself (she's almost 11) but we have always wished we could put them in a larger pool that was a bit more wheelchair friendly than what they have now. Their system works with the ramping and their Intex has held up for years. I am able to see they have upgraded their filtering system, it appears to be a rather large sand filter and I don't think it would have come with the purchase.

I know I pass one on my way to work it has been up for a season or two longer than our AGP and we have had it 4 years.
Their son is in a wheelchair, and they have a ramp that protects it, so that may have something to do with the longevity of it, but I am always happy to see that they continue to get another season out of it.

My daughter and I talk about it all the time, if we were to win the lottery I know the first thing she would do (as I would surely drop dead right on the spot) is build them a backyard paradise. Second purchase is a horse for herself (she's almost 11) but we have always wished we could put them in a larger pool that was a bit more wheelchair friendly than what they have now. Their system works with the ramping and their Intex has held up for years. I am able to see they have upgraded their filtering system, it appears to be a rather large sand filter and I don't think it would have come with the purchase.

that is interesting thanks for the information :) Is theirs up all year round, yes ? We're probably going to bite the bullet and get one as we're in Spain and all the planning regulations/stipulations etc are looking to make a legal inground build a very expensive and timely business, sadly :-(

I've had my current Intex Ultra frame going on its 3rd year, with no apparent problems yet. The liner is a little faded, but otherwise in good shape. I leave it up year-round.

The first thing to go is usually the support beams. They will eventually rust through. That's what claimed my previous Intex (also an Ultra Frame) after 3 or 4 years, but this one seems to be holding up much better. My last pool was not exactly level, and that may have contributed to its premature failure. There was some uneven stress on the supports on one side.

For what they cost versus the enjoyment we get out of them, I consider it a bargain if I have to replace it every 3 years or so. Anything beyond that is gravy, IMO.

ok that's interesting, too, thanks ! do you think that if the side supports are sealed in (semi) with decking above and wood panelling to the sides it would help at all or is the weathering as a result of perhaps the pool chemicals ? do you have a salt or a freshwater system ? we're thinking salt as it seems most intex owners have most luck with that but any advice much appreciated. if we're going for it, we're going to get the 549x274x132 ultra frame model. we'll be levelling the ground with concrete, too, so it should be very level. our garden is quite sandy and very bumpy so i think we have to do this, really.

Yes they keep theirs up all winter, I know for certain they did this past year, I believe this is possible for them because of the ramping system they allowing the wheel chair access. The weather in our location is not conducive to keeping one of those pools up through the winter either; we get snow, ice, heavy winds, extreme cold. We have a short swimming/growing season here. Most open up their pools in May and close in October.

Whatever system they have in place it works for them nicely.

Don't be sad about possibly having to go aboveground opposed to an inground. This aboveground we have was just to see if it would get use & as it turns out it is used throughout the season, we love it and have no plans on going with an inground.

My pool is saltwater. Other than replacing my ladder every year, I don't think it has any negative impact on the pool itself.

I considered sealing my supports but decided against it. My thought was that if water did manage to get inside somehow, then it would never be able to evaporate. And by the time this one rusts out, I'll be ready for a bright new liner anyway.

Don't be sad about possibly having to go aboveground opposed to an inground. This aboveground we have was just to see if it would get use & as it turns out it is used throughout the season, we love it and have no plans on going with an inground.

thanks, that's a good thing to hear ! my wife is more interested in the in ground and i thought it would last a lot longer BUT for the price the above ground pools really seem worthwhile and, as you say, if you have a lot of fun from it then it's more than worth the money :)

- - - Updated - - -

"I considered sealing my supports but decided against it. My thought was that if water did manage to get inside somehow, then it would never be able to evaporate"

that's very true, good point. I'm going with saltwater too, i think. Seems to be that they last longer with this system and are cleaner.

"
that's very true, good point. I'm going with saltwater too, i think. Seems to be that they last longer with this system and are cleaner.

You can keep your pool just as nice by adding chlorine manually, but I like saltwater for the convenience. We just got back from a 9-day vacation, and my pool looked just like it did when we left, other than my robot was tangled up in the ladder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.