Please help why am I not making progress with pool color?

Jun 6, 2015
Walkersville MD
Hello. We opened our pool Saturday. Added 2 bottles of algaecide first thing (this is what a company did for us last year - not sure if it was necessary). Pump has been running 24/7 since we opened. All our chemicals look good - as of yesterday this is what we were looking at:

CYA - 38ish - attempted to get to 30 when we opened - I guess we put a little too much stabilizer in
FC - 15.5
CC- .5
ph- 7.4
TA - 90

I'm adding approximately 4 gallons of bleach per day to keep fc up where it needs to be with testing every few hours. Having a loss of maybe 2ppm overnight of fc.

Our pool is still green and hasn't changed color in 3 days. I am attaching pics to see how it looks the same today as it did Sunday (maybe a tad less but hardly noticeable).

Our only differences this year are we switched from Walmart brand bleach to pool essentials chlorinating liquid (less $ and higher sodium whatever is the active ingredient) and we put stabilizer in before starting our SLAM (was this wrong?)

My husband has vacuumed the pool 2 or 3 times, scrubbed walls several times, we ran the Polaris for about 6 hours yesterday, and cleaned our filter yesterday (husband said it just looked like green food coloring on it and it was easy to clean - no chunks of algae or anything)

Why if our numbers look good and we have such high fc is the color not changing? I understand it can take a week or more but I would at least like to see progress. Please help!

Attachments

• Sunday June 5.jpg
    Sunday June 5.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Wed June 8.jpg
    Wed June 8.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 96
Assuming you have a K2006 or TF100 test kit...

If CYA is between 30 and 40, just call it 40 for this purpose. If you have the bottle from the algaecide, please tell us what it is including size of bottle, active ingredient if listed and % strength if listed. Or the volume and full brand name / product name. Thanks.

Your SLAM level is 16 so it looks like you got this. Maintain it at 16 and above. Give it time. Keep brushing. Look for algae hiding places and scrub them (bottom of ladder rungs, back of skimmer weir, etc. Don't bother with any tests but FC and CC for now and keep reporting your progress. Take a picture looking straight down at your stairs each day so you can see how it's going.

Test FC and bring back to shock level several times per day. Brush daily or more, the more you brush the faster algae will be exposed to chlorine. Clean the filter when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.

Thank you all for your responses. Apparently my husband has used 3 bottles of algaecide (2 bottles before slamming and 1 more bottle added yesterday). The algaecide we used is Kemtek 60% algaecide concentrate 32 fl oz per bottle - active ingredient is 60% poly (oxyethyiene (dimeythyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride) whatever that means! Ha! The bottles are probably 2 years old - not sure if that matters or not?

I would say the water is looking clearer - not completely clear yet. I can at least see the bottom of the shallow end.

We will keep fc up and keep brushing! Think I should continue with the Polaris? Any other tips? Thanks!

Sorry Taylor k-2006
Thanks!

It would help those giving answers if you would please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• Test kit being used
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The first thing I'd do is to stop adding algaecide. Plain bleach, filtering the water, and scrubbing will take care of it. :)

You also may want to remove the light if you have one and scrub in its alcove - that may be an algae haven too.

Algaecide helps a little to prevent algae, however it will not kill an algae bloom. All it does is at this point is slow down the slam. You and your husband need to decide which method you are going to follow, TFP or the pool store's. The two methods are not really compatible and adding anything other than bleach/liquid chlorine is going to slow you down. Our method will work if you are patient and keep at it. Take a picture in the same spot, preferably at the steps, looking down into the pool each day. As you look through the pictures you should see the day to day progress.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your guidance! Pool is now blue and clear, passed oclt and cc is .5! Just kind of turned from green to blue overnight! I didn't remember it taking this long last year but I'm making a note to be patient next year : )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.