Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help why am I not making progress with pool color?

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help why am I not making progress with pool color?

Hello. We opened our pool Saturday. Added 2 bottles of algaecide first thing (this is what a company did for us last year - not sure if it was necessary). Pump has been running 24/7 since we opened. All our chemicals look good - as of yesterday this is what we were looking at:

CYA - 38ish - attempted to get to 30 when we opened - I guess we put a little too much stabilizer in
    FC - 15.5
    CC- .5
    ph- 7.4
    TA - 90

I'm adding approximately 4 gallons of bleach per day to keep fc up where it needs to be with testing every few hours. Having a loss of maybe 2ppm overnight of fc.

Our pool is still green and hasn't changed color in 3 days. I am attaching pics to see how it looks the same today as it did Sunday (maybe a tad less but hardly noticeable).

Our only differences this year are we switched from Walmart brand bleach to pool essentials chlorinating liquid (less $ and higher sodium whatever is the active ingredient) and we put stabilizer in before starting our SLAM (was this wrong?)

My husband has vacuumed the pool 2 or 3 times, scrubbed walls several times, we ran the Polaris for about 6 hours yesterday, and cleaned our filter yesterday (husband said it just looked like green food coloring on it and it was easy to clean - no chunks of algae or anything)

Why if our numbers look good and we have such high fc is the color not changing? I understand it can take a week or more but I would at least like to see progress. Please help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40,000 gallon vinyl in-ground SWG (but we think it's broken) so we don't use as a SWG. Cartridge filter. Taylor K-2006 kit. Well water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help why am I not making progress with pool color?

Assuming you have a K2006 or TF100 test kit...

If CYA is between 30 and 40, just call it 40 for this purpose. If you have the bottle from the algaecide, please tell us what it is including size of bottle, active ingredient if listed and % strength if listed. Or the volume and full brand name / product name. Thanks.

Your SLAM level is 16 so it looks like you got this. Maintain it at 16 and above. Give it time. Keep brushing. Look for algae hiding places and scrub them (bottom of ladder rungs, back of skimmer weir, etc. Don't bother with any tests but FC and CC for now and keep reporting your progress. Take a picture looking straight down at your stairs each day so you can see how it's going.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I understand it can take a week or more
    Ok, give it that week. Is your pool a clear green or cloudy green I cannot tell from those pics.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Test FC and bring back to shock level several times per day. Brush daily or more, the more you brush the faster algae will be exposed to chlorine. Clean the filter when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for your responses. Apparently my husband has used 3 bottles of algaecide (2 bottles before slamming and 1 more bottle added yesterday). The algaecide we used is Kemtek 60% algaecide concentrate 32 fl oz per bottle - active ingredient is 60% poly (oxyethyiene (dimeythyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride) whatever that means! Ha! The bottles are probably 2 years old - not sure if that matters or not?

I would say the water is looking clearer - not completely clear yet. I can at least see the bottom of the shallow end.

We will keep fc up and keep brushing! Think I should continue with the Polaris? Any other tips? Thanks!
    40,000 gallon vinyl in-ground SWG (but we think it's broken) so we don't use as a SWG. Cartridge filter. Taylor K-2006 kit. Well water.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not seeing it, what test kit are you using?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry Taylor k-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bec2854 View Post
    Sorry Taylor k-2006
    Thanks!

It would help those giving answers if you would please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• Test kit being used
    • The size of your pool in gallons
    • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
    • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
    • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
    • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Make sure to check the show sig box under the text box on each device you use. Once checked it should stay checked.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay I think I've got everything in my signature now.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The first thing I'd do is to stop adding algaecide. Plain bleach, filtering the water, and scrubbing will take care of it.

You also may want to remove the light if you have one and scrub in its alcove - that may be an algae haven too.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

12. Back To Top    #12

Algaecide helps a little to prevent algae, however it will not kill an algae bloom. All it does is at this point is slow down the slam. You and your husband need to decide which method you are going to follow, TFP or the pool store's. The two methods are not really compatible and adding anything other than bleach/liquid chlorine is going to slow you down. Our method will work if you are patient and keep at it. Take a picture in the same spot, preferably at the steps, looking down into the pool each day. As you look through the pictures you should see the day to day progress.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Got it no more algaecide! I had no idea it could slow things down. We'll keep at it thanks all!

14. Back To Top    #14

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your guidance! Pool is now blue and clear, passed oclt and cc is .5! Just kind of turned from green to blue overnight! I didn't remember it taking this long last year but I'm making a note to be patient next year : )

15. Back To Top    #15

Great! Patience always pays off in the end! Enjoy your pool!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

That's great to hear. Here's the recommend levels for use after a SLAM is completed and all three criteria have been met. Be sure to never fall below minimum FC.
    Pool School - Recommended Levels

I hope you have a great weekend with swimming included.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for that!