Low return and skimmer flow

Jun 1, 2016
Russellville,Al
Ok, forgive me if I am not using the corrects words but my neighbor says my pool isn't working correctly because it doesn't gush out of the returns. My pool is T shape...the top of T is all shallow and it's the size of a rectangle pool..the middle of the T is all deep. I have the following: slide, waterfall, double chairs, Aqua genie skimmers with the blowers-2 of them. It is 35000 gal...I have a 1hp motor on my pump. It doesn't cause a big ripple and the skimmers aren't sucking stuff in like crazy but it seems to make its way to the skimmers. I can't use all of the accessories at the same time bc low pressure. Neighbor said its not right that it should be more but my pool is more than twice the size of hers...,which also means more plumbing to go to all this stuff. I run it on inlet so the 2 main drains work and the 2 skimmers. My filter pressure runs around 17psi... Even after backwash. I think it just needs a 1.5hp or 2hp motor but the pool people installed a 1hp. I have the SWG too... T-15 cell. I worry that something is wrong bc of what she says so I wanted to see what you thought. You guys are great by the way... I fixed my SWG board by soldering a new current limiter this week and I troubleshot it by what you guys posted... Ty!!!

If your pool is clean, skimmed and making enough chlorine with the SWG then it's all good! I would split the suction to about 75% skimmers and 25% drain to give the skimmers more flow. It is better to catch debris in the skimmer before it gets water logged and sinks.

You might want to deep clean your sand filter some time when you are bored. Here's how, Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Also, add your pool info to your signature and you won't have to type it anymore. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

I have some sand filter cleaner but have not used it on this filter. I just installed a new current limiter yesterday so I am waiting to see salt readings. It said 3900 earlier... I've put 11 bags of salt in but realized the swg wasn't working. I did a test using test stripes and it was at a 3 and should have went to 6 to be in normal range so I added 4 more bags of salt today. It didn't have any really bc when I opened it... I had 6in in my shallow end... So I added like 20000 gal to it and realized I was losing 1 in per day... Finally after 2 weeks I got someone to check it for leaks and found a tear. How it got a tear between closing and opening is beyond me unless the people that closed it did it. So anyway, I had to add another 5-10k gal so it would be full enough to run skimmers. I got an algae outbreak and remixed the swg wasn't working... I'm new ski didn't know... Fixed that and that is where I am today. The light did blink check salt and inspect cell so that is why I added more salt today. The pool girl said I need to add cyunaric acid? Not sure why but she sold me 2 large things of it. I have not added that yet. I will turn the handle to allow more water to go to skimmers and see if that helps. The neighbor insists that something is wrong with mine but I do have pool that's twice the size of hers, 2 skimmers, etc so I told her that I have more outlets to feed water to so it will not cause a big gush of outflow and suck through the skimmer really fast. So... I don't know. It isn't clean right now bc it's got algae residue that I need to vacuum but that's all. I will try to clean the sand filter next to see if that helps. Those little eyeball outlets... People talk about adjusting those but I can't get mine to turn or anything.

First thing you need is a good test kit. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. Get the XL option so you will have enough tests to SLAM, SLAM Process, your pool. SLAM is how we kill algae.

You can add about 1-1/2 jugs of plain 8.25% bleach or 10% liquid chlorine per day to maintain chlorine for now.

Once you have the test kit we can get your chemistry balanced and ready to SLAM.

Print this Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals and this Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Read this, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and this, Pool School - Getting Started

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.