Help with Green pool and SLAM!

Jun 4, 2016
New Orleans
I am having a terrible time with my pool and am new to this forum.
Did 2 partial water changes due to high CYA (over 100) and very cloudy water.
In the time to drain and refill, the pool started turning green.
Started SLAM with these numbers--

PH 7.5

FC 6.0
CC 0.25
TC 6.25
TA 80
CH 400
CYA 55

I want to make sure I am understanding the SLAM process--Am I to just keep adding bleach until my FC is at target?? (20 from the chart)
After 20+ bottles it is still only at 17 and the water is even greener. How many times a day should I be testing? Or should I just keep pouring in the bleach as long as it stays green? It is super hot - 90 degrees here! I could use some encouragement that I am on the right track!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

With a CYA of "55", round up to 60 and slam at 24ppm. Every time you drop below that, you are allowing the algae to grow. Test and adjust as often as you can. Before work, after work, after supper, before bed (if you can do it that often). On weekends, you can go every 2 hours and really attack it.

Stick with that and we can teach you later how to know when you can let up on the bleach. For now, attack and don't give in!

First of all, how are you testing? Which kit are you using?

Are you sure you're using fresh 8.25-10% liquid chlorine/bleach? If its more than a couple months old the strength has weakened and may be causing you problems. Buy only from stores that have a high turn over of product, and avoid big box stores that store the jugs in the garden center outside. Check the dates on the jugs- Julian date will look like 16134 (2016, 134th day of the year).

Your CYA is 60- no half ways. So you need to keep your SLAM level at 24. How often are you testing after the bleach goes in? The more often you test and replace the depleted FC back up to SLAM level the faster it goes. Hourly if you can at least at first is ideal.... if real life gets in the way do it as often as possible.

Yip :flower:

I am using the TF 100 test kit.
FC was 21 before bed and 21 this morning-but I see the recommendation to increase to FC of 24 so I have added more bleach.

Yes, as it turns out I bought some cheap bleach (on sale at 1$ a gallon) and it is only 3%-So I am doubling the amounts recommended in the pool calculator.
Do I have to go to a pool store to get 8 1/2 to 10%? What type of bleach do you recommend?

I do have a picture, but I am having trouble getting it to attach.

Any help with all of this is very much appreciated!

Generally grocery store jugs are almost all 8.25% standard now. They used to be 6% but upped it a couple of years ago. Discount stores often sell the lesser strength stuff.

Buy from a store with heavy business so that you know the stock is turned over frequently. Don't buy from Lowes or Home Depot type stores that keep the pallets of liquid chlorine outside in the sun-that destroys bleach before you even get to use it.

Check your local pool stores to see and compare their prices. They often offer the higher percentage 10-12% liquid chlorine (aka stronger bleach) and so you use less volume to get the desired result.

ohyeah... one more thing: do NOT buy any bleach that is "splashless" "scented" "outdoor use" etc... just basic bleach, ok?

Also, know how to read the production dates on the jugs. They usually are Julian dates such as "2016159" or "16159" which translates to be the 159th day of 2016. Which happens to be TODAY! The newer the jug the better!

My pool is now blue!! Has been at FC-shock level of 24+ - now on day 3 and clearing nicely!
Question-- My FC is 25 (goal 24) and CC 0.5. Pool is clear, can see the drain although I would not say it is crystal clear.

Am I ready for the OCLT test? OR should the water be crystal clear first?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.