Ugh...cloudy pool

KC4767

Jun 7, 2016
Aston, PA
Hello all, purchased a house in Feb with a pool (16' x 32', above ground). Was suggested to shock it, which I did on 6/2 and turn the pump on ( 5 gal). I also brought a water sample and purchased suggested chemicals. Long behold after I shocked the pool, the strainer was busted and I just purchased a replacement today (new pump and strainer). Chemicals were added and pump was installed around 9am.

Long story longer...after I added chemicals (and shocked again because the first shock just sat with no water movement) and I discovered that there was still a considerable amount of leaves at the bottom of the pool and borrowed a friends leaf vacuum. Picked up a bunch of leaves, almost all from what I could see (which isn't much because it's so cloudy).

After the pump running for about 10 hours, it's still cloudy.

My water levels are where they are supposed to be so I don't need anymore chemicals buy how do I get the cloudy-ness to be gone!

Thanks in advance!

Hey there KC4767 :) Welcome to TFP!

First off, you don't need to buy any chemicals from the poo store. They're over-priced and rarely what you *really* need. What you need is BLEACH, BLEACH and more BLEACH along with your own decent test kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine tester in it. The TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 (no other #) are both available on Amazon or thru TFTestkits.net

Then before we can figure out what's wrong we need these test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
all from your own test kit, NOT a pool store test.

Have you read Pool School up top??

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I also recommend the TF-100 (XL Option) w/ Sped Stir.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Great to have you with us.

Great info thus far... after you fill in your pool details in your signature, we can give you some guidance on what you can do until you recommended test kit arrives.

Good info to know! Is there a reason not to trust the pool store test kits?

As far as the signature, I honestly don't know what I have besides a sand filter. The stickers are worn and faded, I can take pictures if that would help. I know the size and what type of pump I have. Anything more than that, I'll have to post pictures in hopes someone can identify it.

Is there a reason not to trust the pool store test kits?
Several really:
- Inadequate lighting skews the results
- Seasonal hires who are not knowledgeable
- Lack of personal attention to your pool and specific needs
- Retailer's generated results designed to push products off the shelf - over-priced products
- Inconsistent testing results

You certainly can upload some pics. We'll help tell you what you should add to your signature. :)

The pool stores generally don't sell good "full" test kits. They rely on people bringing in their water and testing it themselves (which is usually WAY off) and then selling you a bunch of chemicals you don't need.

The TF100 and Taylor 2006c are really the only way to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can safely add 1/2 jug of bleach a day. Wal-Mart has been running a $2.50 special on 10% bleach found in the pool/seasonal section.

Brush every day, scoop out any debris, run pump 24/7. Post up a full set of results when you get your kit.

Once you tackle this monster, you will always have clear water, never have to "shock" and the $ to maintain clear water will be much less than years past.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.