Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ugh...cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Ugh...cloudy pool

Hello all, purchased a house in Feb with a pool (16' x 32', above ground). Was suggested to shock it, which I did on 6/2 and turn the pump on ( 5 gal). I also brought a water sample and purchased suggested chemicals. Long behold after I shocked the pool, the strainer was busted and I just purchased a replacement today (new pump and strainer). Chemicals were added and pump was installed around 9am.

Long story longer...after I added chemicals (and shocked again because the first shock just sat with no water movement) and I discovered that there was still a considerable amount of leaves at the bottom of the pool and borrowed a friends leaf vacuum. Picked up a bunch of leaves, almost all from what I could see (which isn't much because it's so cloudy).

After the pump running for about 10 hours, it's still cloudy.

My water levels are where they are supposed to be so I don't need anymore chemicals buy how do I get the cloudy-ness to be gone!

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ugh...cloudy pool

Hey there KC4767 Welcome to TFP!

First off, you don't need to buy any chemicals from the poo store. They're over-priced and rarely what you *really* need. What you need is BLEACH, BLEACH and more BLEACH along with your own decent test kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine tester in it. The TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 (no other #) are both available on Amazon or thru TFTestkits.net

Then before we can figure out what's wrong we need these test results:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    all from your own test kit, NOT a pool store test.

Have you read Pool School up top??
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! I also recommend the TF-100 (XL Option) w/ Sped Stir.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Great info thus far... after you fill in your pool details in your signature, we can give you some guidance on what you can do until you recommended test kit arrives.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

5. Back To Top    #5

Good info to know! Is there a reason not to trust the pool store test kits?

As far as the signature, I honestly don't know what I have besides a sand filter. The stickers are worn and faded, I can take pictures if that would help. I know the size and what type of pump I have. Anything more than that, I'll have to post pictures in hopes someone can identify it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there a reason not to trust the pool store test kits?
    Several really:
    - Inadequate lighting skews the results
    - Seasonal hires who are not knowledgeable
    - Lack of personal attention to your pool and specific needs
    - Retailer's generated results designed to push products off the shelf - over-priced products
    - Inconsistent testing results

You certainly can upload some pics. We'll help tell you what you should add to your signature.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

The pool stores generally don't sell good "full" test kits. They rely on people bringing in their water and testing it themselves (which is usually WAY off) and then selling you a bunch of chemicals you don't need.

The TF100 and Taylor 2006c are really the only way to go.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

We will need the size (gallons). If you don't know you can use the calculator at the bottom of pool math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html If you have trouble estimating the size, ask questions.

And we need to know your pool type (vinyl, plaster, fiberglass etc).

Add what you know to your signature.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    2017 replaster/retile

9. Back To Top    #9

Taylor complete water test kit ($99.99) was ordered....now I wait.....

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by KC4767 View Post
    Taylor complete water test kit ($99.99) was ordered....now I wait.....
    What was the kit # K-XXXX
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

K-2006c
    16' x 32' oval, above ground pool. 13,700 gallons.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

You can safely add 1/2 jug of bleach a day. Wal-Mart has been running a $2.50 special on 10% bleach found in the pool/seasonal section.

Brush every day, scoop out any debris, run pump 24/7. Post up a full set of results when you get your kit.

Once you tackle this monster, you will always have clear water, never have to "shock" and the $ to maintain clear water will be much less than years past.
    Karen
    2017 replaster/retile