Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi from Arizona!

1. Back To Top    #1

Red face Hi from Arizona!

Hi everyone! We have a salt-water pool that is a year old. I'm learning that what little maintenance we did this past year might bite us in the butt now. Got our water tested for the first time at Leslie's yesterday and they just said I needed muriatic acid to fix the pH which would then help the TA. After reading a few posts it looks like I might need to go get a testing kit. I also tried to brush off this white line around the tile but it's not budging. It almost looks like salt but after reading quickly it looks like calcium silicate. My goal is to be able to understand all this pool stuff so my husband doesn't have to worry about it since I'm home all summer. My first job is to add the muriatic acid and then see where our numbers are at. Our salt level is also blinking low but I found out we should be cleaning our salt cell, so that is also on the list to do!

Let the learning begin!!
    Carrie

Here are my levels from Leslie's....
    FAC 0
    TAC 0
    Salt 3200 (needs to be at 3400)
    CYA 60
    TA 180
    pH 8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi from Arizona!

Hello Carrie and welcome to TFP! I wouldn't too much at this moment until you get your own test kit. We see time & time again when the pool store tests are out of this world wrong. I highly recommended the TF-100 with speed stir. Add about 1/2 gallon regular bleach each day for now and let us know when you get your own test results. From there we can help you with calcium scale and anything else chemically related. Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome! We have a lot of hard water here, it really takes a lot of proactive maintenance to keep calcium under control.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

4. Back To Top    #4

You can pay to have the scale soda blasted - at about $5.00 a foot or buy about five pumice stones and do 5-10 tiles every time you swim. It's a good workout too!