Solar Cover Evaporation

I just go by the sound of my autofill. With my cover on, it is quiet and there is no sound at all. When my cover is off, it sounds like a toilet bowl that is constantly running. Covers work AMAZINGLY well at cutting down on evaporation.

+1 to that and reducing FC consumption and PH rise!

I've had mine off for over a week now. I left it on too long when the day time temps got high and nearly shot my pool water past 96F. It was like a bathtub.

I haven't had a chance to put it back on because everyone is swimming in it.

Yeah. Our overnight lows are still hitting the high 60's with daytime temps near 100F. So my water temps average 86-88F and then overnight the air temp hits 68-70F.

So I've got a 20F temperature differential and the relative humidity here is about 10%....suffice it to say my autofill runs A LOT at night :shock:

I wake up early in the AM and open the blinds just to make sure all the water hasn't evaporated away...

I just got me a blue solar cover today and threw it on as the sun went down. Should I be taking it off during the day, or only when we want to swim? My primary concern is heating the water, not reducing evaporation. Though that'll be nice too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just got me a blue solar cover today and threw it on as the sun went down. Should I be taking it off during the day, or only when we want to swim? My primary concern is heating the water, not reducing evaporation. Though that'll be nice too.

If you need to heat the water then just leave it on until you swim and make sure it goes back on before the sun goes down. If no one uses the pool, then just plan to pull it off for a couple of hours each week during the day to let the water get some UV and outgas any CCs that might be hanging around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.