Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover Evaporation

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover Evaporation

I was just curious on peoples experience with solar covers. I still lose about a sliver of water a day. My cover isn't cut to fit the ladders. So it isn't totally covering the surface.
    16x32X8 Vinyl liner 21,000 gal.
    Hayward Pro Series S220T 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Taylor K-2006 Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover Evaporation

It should reduce evaporation by quite a bit. More on windier, drier days. Are you noticing less than before cover?

Have you confirmed that you don't have a leak? Pool School - Leak Detection
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes way less. Just like 10th an inch is still evaporating a day.

- - - Updated - - -

I just didn't know if for some people it stops it completely.
    Taylor K-2006 Test

4. Back To Top    #4

Probably 10th an inch in 2 days.
    Taylor K-2006 Test

5. Back To Top    #5

I just go by the sound of my autofill. With my cover on, it is quiet and there is no sound at all. When my cover is off, it sounds like a toilet bowl that is constantly running. Covers work AMAZINGLY well at cutting down on evaporation.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 to that and reducing FC consumption and PH rise!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    +1 to that and reducing FC consumption and PH rise!
    I've had mine off for over a week now. I left it on too long when the day time temps got high and nearly shot my pool water past 96F. It was like a bathtub.

I haven't had a chance to put it back on because everyone is swimming in it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice! Water hit 88 today, it'll probably be coming off for good in a day or two. As soon as the lows move up from the lower 60s to the lower 70s.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Solar Cover Evaporation

Yeah. Our overnight lows are still hitting the high 60's with daytime temps near 100F. So my water temps average 86-88F and then overnight the air temp hits 68-70F.

So I've got a 20F temperature differential and the relative humidity here is about 10%....suffice it to say my autofill runs A LOT at night

I wake up early in the AM and open the blinds just to make sure all the water hasn't evaporated away...
    Matt

10. Back To Top    #10

I just got me a blue solar cover today and threw it on as the sun went down. Should I be taking it off during the day, or only when we want to swim? My primary concern is heating the water, not reducing evaporation. Though that'll be nice too.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

11. Back To Top    #11

Solar Cover Evaporation

Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    I just got me a blue solar cover today and threw it on as the sun went down. Should I be taking it off during the day, or only when we want to swim? My primary concern is heating the water, not reducing evaporation. Though that'll be nice too.
    If you need to heat the water then just leave it on until you swim and make sure it goes back on before the sun goes down. If no one uses the pool, then just plan to pull it off for a couple of hours each week during the day to let the water get some UV and outgas any CCs that might be hanging around.
    Matt