Suggestions to weigh down ladder

We have the same steps and followed their directions to fill with some sand, but we're sorry we did because the unit is now so heavy (new pool, so haven't put steps in yet). We're very interested in other ideas, too!!

We tentatively like the idea of zip tieing on some weighted, capped pies. Any other ideas?

They make optional weights for that ladder that you fill with sand and water and clip to the sides. Thats what I have. But mine are filled with pea gravel and bleach.

However, in hindsight, they are kind of pricey. The best "homemade" solution I have seen is a number of empty bleach bottles (because we all have LOTS of those) filled with sand, and hung from underneath the steps.

These are the weights I have Blue Wave Step Weights Pair

Well maybe not those exact ones, but something similar. I forget where I got them, I shopped around when I bought them a number of years ago.

-dave

I've tried a number of different things - retaining wall stones (afraid the porousness breeds algae though), bags filled with sand, before I finally settled on filling bleach bottles with quickrete. I needed a bunch because I have 5 home made platforms/islands in the water for my kids to play on to weigh down as well. Made about 10 of the bottles last year and they worked well, handles make them easy to pull in and out as needed.

I think filling with sand would work too, but it may not be as heavy and if it breaks in the water, it could be a messier clean up than hardened concrete - not really certain. PVC capped and filled has been a popular solution as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put in the same set of steps a couple months ago, and did pour in about 15lbs of sand, but then went to Walmart and bought a plastic liquid holder with screw on top.($1.98)' I guess it would hold a gal of liquid, but I filled it with sand. Then after screwing lid on, attached to bottom of handrail with plastic ties. One seemed to work, but if you went with two, I'm sure that's enough. Good luck!

I used real weights covered in truck bed liner :) they work great

You can see them on the left and right and I have a bungee cord running through the holes and on the back of the stairs :)

DmdBqp0h.jpg

this was 1 hour after opening, you can see how it hangs
MGk4fi3h.jpg

I don't use the confer steps but I do use the jugs to weigh the steps down. I will be adding more this summer though.

FB_IMG_1462917275554.jpg

I think We are going to use the bleach bottle/pea gravel idea. How much bleach to leave in?

Each year I add about a cup of bleach to the weights before I put them in for the season and the rest if water. I guess you could use the pool calculator to see how much that yeilds, but it is going to be a LOT. Maybe a cup of bleach to about a gallon of water?

My thought is that pea gravel is not going to cause as big of a problem as sand if the weight does crack and the spacing in the gravel lets the bleach circulate better. Cement is an other good option. I really dont like sand, just in case it gets out of the weight.

-dave

How about some sealed pvc pipes filled with sand.
My son made some PVC tubes filled with sand. End caps glued on to seal. Zip tied to my sides but careful how tight you have to pull them because lifting the ladder in and out of the pool the weight of the tubes hang from the weak sides and has cracked my ladder. Many times trying to pull it up at the end of the season the zip ties were broke And the bullets ( tubes) had to be personally grabbed off bottom and brought out of pool. It works but has precautionary setbacks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.