Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions to weigh down ladder

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions to weigh down ladder

Just got a new confer ladder. Ive read reviews that it's a pain to get out of pool, when full of sand.
    Any other suggestions how to weigh it down?

Thanks in advance
    15x30x54 AquaLeader Sentinelle AGP
    2 HP 2 Speed Hayward SwimPro Voyager Pump
    Hayward SwimPro Voyager 150 sq. ft. Filter
    Hayward H series millivolt 150 btu Heater
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggestions to weigh down ladder

If you could link the specific ladder that you purchased, that would help.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

How about some sealed pvc pipes filled with sand.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

http://www.conferplastics.com/wp-con..._web_main1.jpg

This is the ladder we have Confer Step 1
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I do not have steps like that, but what about zip tying capped pvc pipe filled with bird shot to the walls of the steps?
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

6. Back To Top    #6

We have the same steps and followed their directions to fill with some sand, but we're sorry we did because the unit is now so heavy (new pool, so haven't put steps in yet). We're very interested in other ideas, too!!

We tentatively like the idea of zip tieing on some weighted, capped pies. Any other ideas?
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

7. Back To Top    #7

We use these. My husband got them in and out when the pool went up last year and again this year with no issue.

2) Main Access 200888 Universal Anchors Swimming Pool Ladder Step Sand Weights Amazon.com : 2) Main Access 200888 Universal Anchors Swimming Pool Ladder Step Sand Weights : Patio, Lawn Garden

But our ladder has a ledge at the base to put the bags on. We have three bags to hold it down.
    Sharkline 24' round 54" aluminum AG pool. Waterway 2HP 125sq ft. cartridge filter. Using k-2006 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

They make optional weights for that ladder that you fill with sand and water and clip to the sides. Thats what I have. But mine are filled with pea gravel and bleach.

However, in hindsight, they are kind of pricey. The best "homemade" solution I have seen is a number of empty bleach bottles (because we all have LOTS of those) filled with sand, and hung from underneath the steps.

These are the weights I have Blue Wave Step Weights Pair

Well maybe not those exact ones, but something similar. I forget where I got them, I shopped around when I bought them a number of years ago.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

9. Back To Top    #9

I've tried a number of different things - retaining wall stones (afraid the porousness breeds algae though), bags filled with sand, before I finally settled on filling bleach bottles with quickrete. I needed a bunch because I have 5 home made platforms/islands in the water for my kids to play on to weigh down as well. Made about 10 of the bottles last year and they worked well, handles make them easy to pull in and out as needed.

I think filling with sand would work too, but it may not be as heavy and if it breaks in the water, it could be a messier clean up than hardened concrete - not really certain. PVC capped and filled has been a popular solution as well.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave View Post
    But mine are filled with pea gravel and bleach.
    The best "homemade" solution I have seen is a number of empty bleach bottles (because we all have LOTS of those) filled with sand, and hung from underneath the steps.

-dave
    I think We are going to use the bleach bottle/pea gravel idea. How much bleach to leave in?
    TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

I put in the same set of steps a couple months ago, and did pour in about 15lbs of sand, but then went to Walmart and bought a plastic liquid holder with screw on top.($1.98)' I guess it would hold a gal of liquid, but I filled it with sand. Then after screwing lid on, attached to bottom of handrail with plastic ties. One seemed to work, but if you went with two, I'm sure that's enough. Good luck!
    17k, 27'AG, Sand, 2spd Pentair, Hayward Aqua-trol salt system, TF100 tst kit

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I used real weights covered in truck bed liner they work great

You can see them on the left and right and I have a bungee cord running through the holes and on the back of the stairs

this was 1 hour after opening, you can see how it hangs
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

13. Back To Top    #13

Great ideas!!
    TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Also,I would leave the caps off that the sand goes in.This is mine I just put in this past week.Took over 100 pounds of cement & pulling one plug to let water in the add on step

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I don't use the confer steps but I do use the jugs to weigh the steps down. I will be adding more this summer though.

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1 View Post
    I think We are going to use the bleach bottle/pea gravel idea. How much bleach to leave in?
    Each year I add about a cup of bleach to the weights before I put them in for the season and the rest if water. I guess you could use the pool calculator to see how much that yeilds, but it is going to be a LOT. Maybe a cup of bleach to about a gallon of water?

My thought is that pea gravel is not going to cause as big of a problem as sand if the weight does crack and the spacing in the gravel lets the bleach circulate better. Cement is an other good option. I really dont like sand, just in case it gets out of the weight.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo