Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is one skimmer sufficient for my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is one skimmer sufficient for my pool?

Got a quote from a PB that only includes one skimmer. Is that sufficient for the following pool?

32x18 - 3.5ft/5.5ft/3.5ft freeform - 1 skimmer, 4 returns, 2 main drains

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is one skimmer sufficient for my pool?

I would want two skimmers. One at each end of the prevailing winds. I didn't speak to any builders that only did one.

Matt
    19,600 Gallons, 34'x24' Cloud Shape, 3.5'-6'-4', 2 Skimmers, 4 returns, natural gray plaster, Oklahoma Flagstone, NPT Silverstone Ocean Blue waterline and maker tiles, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Pentair EasyTouch 4, Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color Led light, Polaris 280 cleaner, 1.5 ton moss rock waterfall, 785 sq. ft. exposed aggregate deck, and mosaic crab on bench, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

One will handle that size pool easy enough. Just place it in the center of the wall on the downwind prevailing wind side.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

My experience with having a pool that uses a single skimmer is that I wish I had more skimmers to keep up with the leaves the two times a year I have to deal with them. Having only one seems to require constant maintenance. While having two wouldn't reduce the amount of leaves, it would reduce the frequency of urgent cleanings...
    Main Pool: Cl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (same height) // Jandy RS8 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy VS Flow Pro Pump + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jandy DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons
    Vacation Pool: NaCl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (elevated spa) // Jandy RS4 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy Stealth Pump (Converted to 2hp 2-Speed) + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jany DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

If you're the type of person who checks skimmers daily then go for it. I have 2 and the one closest to my neighbor's trees gets overburdened early in the season. I was emptying a heaping basket every 1-2 days. If it was my only skimmer I would have had trouble.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool is smaller than yours, 18'x19', and I have 2 skimmers and 6 returns.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd definitely want 2

New pool build in Manor, Texas. 2015. 509 sq. feet; 31'6" x 19'10". Sunshelf & bubbler and waterfall sheer. Gunite inground pool. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump; Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge; Inline chlorination w/UV Sys;Lighting:Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED 120V;Cleaner: KK Racer w/booster.Bench/ledge;limestone Coping; Verona Tile 562 Decking

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone. I am going to ask for 2