Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Howdy from Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Howdy from Texas

I found TFP about a year ago and thanks to this site got a new and better appreciation for how to maintain my pool after 20 years of listening to conflicting advice from the various pool stores locally, have learned a ton from the generous members and admins of the site. Thanks for that.

Over the years, I've pretty much rebuilt everything that is above ground on my pool including a full re-plumbing (on a new 6" poured pad), heater and pump rebuilds, control repairs and the like. Along the way, I bookmarked TFP and have found much useful information.

I finally decided to join when I had something specifically to contribute that hopefully will help others. While helping a neighbor troubleshoot his heater we found a partially clogged pilot that caused the induced-draft heater to cycle. It wasn't my best troubleshooting effort but some hours into it I googled 'heater won't cycle' or something like that and arrived, again, at TFP. While the posts did not exactly identify the problem they got us to thinkin' about gas and flames and we eventually arrived at the $0.00 fix (rust in the pilot tube). I joined to post our findings and fix.

I have a background in embedded control systems, including pool controls, so maybe I can contribute more as topics come up. Until then, again, thanks to all that have helped me even while lurking.

JohnInTX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Howdy from Texas

Hello John and welcome to TFP! We appreciate you representing the TFP "Texas" population. ha. Glad TFP was of assistance and hopefully we'll see more threads/posts from you in the near future. Have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, pard. You too.

I've learned a lot since discovering TFP - even after 20 yrs. of pool ownership.
    Thanks to all involved!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi John,
    Welcome to TFP! Great first post.

Man if there is anything we here at TFP are shy about, it's automation! Feel free to jump in if you see something you can help with. It will be much appreciated.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, Dave!
    I can sympathize with the whole 'automation' thing and can I understand your shyness about all of it. I have become a reluctant fixer of things in the neighborhood and lots of it is simple electronics that are diagnosed as 'can't be fixed, replace it' for $$$ when as little as a shot of contact cleaner or a dab of solder gets it going again. I decided to join TFP after helping a neighbor clean his heater pilot (tech said he needed a new control board or if that didn't work a new heater). Previously, the same guy was told he had to replace his salt system controller because a connector broke off the control board and as it was obsolete, he was in for a new $3K system. It was a common connector and I was able to replace it por nada. I have a real aversion to that kind of 'can't be fixed - replace it' thing.

Anyway, the primary reason for my joining, as opposed to lurking, was to share my fix to the heater and as thanks for the other good info I have gotten from this site, particularly in helping with pool chemistry. To the extent that I can help with other stuff, I'm happy to do so.

Thanks for the welcome!
    John

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Automation? Is that anything to do with me telling my oldest to go skim the pool automatically when I get home from work?

Welcome aboard. You'll fit right in with the rest of the Texas posse.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons