New Pool!

May 2, 2016
Leonardo, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All! First time pool owners here so please be gentle. Pool went up today and is filling but the electrician won't be here to run electric until Friday. Is there anything I can / should do in the meantime to prevent algae from grabbing hold?

I don't think I would add it according to Pool math. I would rather see one large jug of Clorox put in the pool each evening until you get your pump running and you can report test results with your handy dandy TF-100 (the world's best test kit...really)

Once the electrician gets done, circulate that pool water for about an hour.....then take your sample (about 1 foot deep) and report your test results.

08271fd3a24becc01796b070da9bff91.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

FC 2
CC 0
Ph 7.2
Cya wife just added 16 oz stablizer yesterday but tested anyway less than 20. Could see dot when filled.
Ta 120
So the pool is up and running. So after me throwing some bleach in daily and the wife adding 1 16oz dry stabilizer, about 8oz dry shock and a puck in a floating frog yesterday, here is where I'm at. Whatcha think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long until I will get a reliable reading of Cya? My wife added the stabilizer while I was out and I didn't tell her I was trying to follow the TFP method so she figured it was in the start up kit so it should go in. I don't think it should be a problem as I am starting from 0 Cya and I think I will need to add more to make 30ppm. So my question is do I aim for a free chlorine level of 0 or of 30 which is my goal?

If it was granular and added as we advise here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals, then it will show up on the test 24 hours after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

If it was poured into the skimmer and is now in the filter then it will take a week or so to show up on the test. Do not backwash the filter until it reads on the test or you could lose the CYA.

To be safe you should chlorinate based on the 30ppm that was added to the pool.

Welcome to TFP. :) Good to have you hear, and congrats on the new pool! Sounds like you're off to a good start with around 3 PPM FC to match your CYA at 30 PPM.

Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) includes always knowing what each addition of pool chems is going to add to the water and what effect it's going to have.

When it comes to TFPC pool chem advice, you won't hear "try this, it should work" like you do at a pool $tore.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.