Anyone have these wedding cake steps?

Hi Tom and everyone else! First time posting on the forum. In my opinion, I had them and hated them! It was too hard to clean underneath the wedding cake steps because algae, dirt and sand would accumulate under them. I bought a Confer A-Frame ladder which works only for a rigid-framed pool and I like it. I hope this helps! ��

I can say that they are stable and hold larger people very well. They really make it possible for my disabled mother in law to be able to get in.

The thing that I absolutely hate about them is the insane amount if weight needed to to hold them in place. It is absurd. And with all that weight it makes it extremely hard to clean under as it's difficult to move them.
Everything wants to collect under them and it's just an all around nightmare.

I had something like this several years ago. I loved them because my kids and their friends could play on them. They were horrible when it came to cleaning because the water could not flow freely and it bred algae like crazy.

I agree with Casey. I have something similar, but from what I've read and experienced, any wedding cake steps are going to require some extra work to keep the algae away. I've found that if I just add a little of my chlorine directly over the steps and use the brush to swish the water around it seems to work well.

I have them, and do not like them. As others mentioned, they are difficult to clean around, tend to grow algae, and require about 150lbs of sand or some other weight to keep them down. Two years ago, one of my sand bags broke in the middle of the season, causing sand to spread across the bottom of the pool. Last year, I tried using bags of river rock instead of sand, which seemed to work a little better, but were still a pain to put in and clean.

I was looking at getting these, but I went with the confer step 1 instead. It has freer water flow underneath, so algae isn't such a problem. They also attach to the deck, so not much wiggle going on. I had thought I might upgrade to the wedding cake steps in a few years. Not sure now, after reading these comments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have both confer and wedding cake steps. With young kids the steps are great. I do take special care to sweep and bleach around them to keep algae away.

They are so nice for kids. As long as you take thel time to clean behind them, they serve a valuable purpose. My kids loved them. They always parked on the steps.

I have these that we are about to install
157f98052029bbebad46e8e479da1828.jpg
I think they are Lumio wedding cake II

We drilled extra wide holes in various places to aid with water flow. We made weights out of large pvc pipes filled with sand and water and sealed.

Our only dilemma now is how to keep the top step (ballast) full of pea gravel and water without having the water squish out from the rubber plug when you step on it!!

We filled it and assembled it but when we stepped on it air bubbles came out. That means that once the gravel grows algae, and I'm assuming it will, that it will shoot algae water into the pool when you use the steps.

Does anyone know of a way to permanently seal the rubber plug to make it water tight??? Or if periodically adding bleach into the ballast will dissolve the rubber plug?? Leaving them out until we figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.