I need a pump/motor reccomendation for water solar, 2 1/2 story

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
My son is getting solar water installed and we've decided to install the new motor & pump ourselves.

The solar company said a 1 1/2 hp would work to push the solar properly.

The one we will be replacing is a Century with a label "Total HP = 1.24. The specification plate says HP 3/4. I don't understand that.

Also, he has a booster pump for his pool sweep (pressure type). Is that likely to interfere with anything?

I'm inclined to go with a 2HP pump and motor, or a 1 1/2 pump and motor, preferably Pentair or Hayward. Is there any benefit to having the motor oversize by 1/2 HP?

I could use some suggestions for a good budget unit. He doesn't have water features to speak of.

Lastly.....

Should we decide to look at two speed again, do they have a sensor to switch to high speed when the solar calls for water and more power is needed? Or is it more complicated than that?

Why are you replacing the pump? A 3/4 HP should be big enough for solar. My 1/2 HP pump was big enough to run solar on a two story roof.

Should we decide to look at two speed again, do they have a sensor to switch to high speed when the solar calls for water and more power is needed? Or is it more complicated than that?
Some solar controllers will do this, you just have to check the feature set.

How high is the installation?

What is your current pump model?

Solar companies always oversize the pump because it is no skin off their nose. They don't pay the electricity bills but you do. That new pump will cost almost twice as much to run and in CA, that's not cheap.

Also, how much is he charging for the new pump? Have you looked into a VS pump?

I can vouch for this. You don't need a bigger pump.

I had that happen too, pool co inspector during home purchase said the existing 3/4 hp (1.25 sf) motor was inadequate for the solar operation (single story)
and I almost went and bought a whole new motor til I posted on this forum and thanks to Mark's advice, I didn't need to buy one.

The solar worked great all last summer once I fixed the 1 leaking panel. They were Solar Industries panels.

Like Mark said it's no skin off their nose. It wouldn't void any warranty, so stick with that one you already have.

If they persist just tell them you have a friend that works in Hydraulics and he said it's fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.