Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar pool covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar pool covers

So I want to try a solar pool cover for my 12x18 above ground pool just wanted to see if anyone has any luck with them I was looking at the ones on Amazon since they are cheaper than any pool store... are they cut to fit and do I have to buy a spool to roll them up?

12x18 above ground pool

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Solar pool covers

They do work for bringing the temp up and keeping the heat in at night.. You dont "need" a reel but they are nice

The 8 mil covers are good and you want to take it off to let the pool "breath" for a day in the sun about 2 times a week
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I find I actually get a higher temperature increase on a hot sunny day with the cover off. But more importantly, it holds the heat in at night.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

We love our solar cover. Didn't have to cut ours to shape tho.
    My.mother in law has a solar heater that goes on the roof, no solar cover... we opened our pools at the same time (she doesn't live far away) our pool was 84 and hers 74.
    Sharkline 24' round 54" aluminum AG pool. Waterway 2HP 125sq ft. cartridge filter. Using k-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Solar covers are great for keeping in heat at night. Yesterday high temp was 85 and pool temp was 86. Low temp last night was 62 and the pool was 85 this morning.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you guys found that a particular brand of cover is better than another or does it come down to the mil? I have a 16x48 intex. What brand/mil would you suggest?
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

7. Back To Top    #7

RollTide - I just bought the thickest clear one I could get from Doheny. Longest warranty seems to correlate with price and positive comments on the 3 or so sites I shopped. I still need to cut mine and decide about reel/roller vs. wrestling. I am definitely leaning toward reel, but I'm over 30' long, and the wrestling is a real pain. When off, I lose water to evaporation at a pretty disturbing rate -- visible in 2 hot days, when on, much better. It brought up the temperature pretty quickly, and I'm happy with it on my in-ground.

Hey, cowboycasey - What's with the "breathing"?? Is there chemical reaction/consumption/other are you trying to fend off, or something more sinister like algea??
    James - 15' x 35' IG pool + spa, with aging plaster, est. 21K-25K gallons.
    Ray-Pak PS165VSP and Pentair 420 Cartridge in 2016.
    Disconnected heater (gas line issue). TF-1000.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I think I bought the medium one, as I didn't want it to be too heavy.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't think the thickness really matters. The main thing is you have it covered.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

10. Back To Top    #10

OK I guess I will give the one on Amazon a try then decide on the reel

12x18 above ground pool

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jm1 View Post
    RollTide - I just bought the thickest clear one I could get from Doheny. Longest warranty seems to correlate with price and positive comments on the 3 or so sites I shopped. I still need to cut mine and decide about reel/roller vs. wrestling. I am definitely leaning toward reel, but I'm over 30' long, and the wrestling is a real pain. When off, I lose water to evaporation at a pretty disturbing rate -- visible in 2 hot days, when on, much better. It brought up the temperature pretty quickly, and I'm happy with it on my in-ground.

Hey, cowboycasey - What's with the "breathing"?? Is there chemical reaction/consumption/other are you trying to fend off, or something more sinister like algea??
    I have a 16 mil cover but even the 8 mil covers are keeping the CC's in the pool and you will see them climb over a couple days.. I get a 1 cc within 3 days and if I take the cover off in the morning the CC is gone by afternoon..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **