Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new to forum. just bought a house with a huge pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

new to forum. just bought a house with a huge pool...

Hello all!

My name is Don, My wife and I just bought a house with a large pool. A large green pool. Joined this site to gain some knowledge and get it up and running. We live in Gloversville, NY.

The pool has not been open in 3 years but was winterized. I think I am getting the run around by the local pool companies, maybe they just don't want the work... so I will do it.
    60' X 20' in-ground with a Triton II TR 140 sand filter, a Pac-Fab Challenger 2 1/2 hp pump, a Hayward cl 200 chlorine feeder.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: new to forum. just bought a house with a huge pool...

Joined this site to gain some knowledge
    Knowledge is what TFP is all about. I would suggest you start by reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by NyDon View Post
    Hello all!

My name is Don, My wife and I just bought a house with a large pool. A large green pool. Joined this site to gain some knowledge and get it up and running. We live in Gloversville, NY.

The pool has not been open in 3 years but was winterized. I think I am getting the run around by the local pool companies, maybe they just don't want the work... so I will do it.
    Hello from not too far away.

It really isn't too complicated once you get the hang of it. Basically the pump draws water from the skimmer and pushes the water through the filter and then it is pushed back into the pool through the returns. The filter cleans the debris from the water as it runs through.

On top of the pool itself you have the water to deal with. If you read through this site you can get an education that will prepare you to do all of the typical maintenance on your pool and some of the more involved stuff as well.

You will want to buy a test kit to get an accurate reading of your water and a lot of liquid chlorine!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new green pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

You are in the right place. You will need a giod tedt kit since a slam will be in your future.

Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome! We also purchased a house that had a pool winterized and closed for several years. We're starting our new pool0life adventure, too. best wishes!
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.