Small Pump Recommendation?

Oct 5, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Over the winter I had a GFI added to my pool electrical system. (The pool was built in 1967 and had none.) Now that I have a GFI, I'm finding it trips whenever there is a heavy rain. Not good.

The only place electricity comes near the pool is the pump. I don't have lights, SWG, or heater. As the pump seems to be about 15 years old, I suspect it's starting to fail. There's also a small leak at the pump exit connection. Finally, given my small filter, the 3/4 hp pump is a bit oversized and probably inefficient due to its age.

Anyone care to recommend a 1/2 hp pump?

Also, the pump is now on a standard 110 V AC, 15 A plug. Should I have the pump hard-wired to the box with the timer?

Thanks in advance for your help. Everyone on this board is great.

The 1/2 HP Pentair WhisperFlo is very efficient for a single speed pump. There is some confusion about just how it compares to the 3/4 HP WhisperFlo. Pentair says that the 3/4 HP is more efficient, but an independent testing lab says the 1/2 HP is better. I suspect the spec table at Pentair's web site is wrong.

Wiring directly to the timer is preferred for a permanent install. Using an outlet is only recommended/code for storable pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.