Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small Pump Recommendation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Philadelphia, PA

Small Pump Recommendation?

Over the winter I had a GFI added to my pool electrical system. (The pool was built in 1967 and had none.) Now that I have a GFI, I'm finding it trips whenever there is a heavy rain. Not good.

The only place electricity comes near the pool is the pump. I don't have lights, SWG, or heater. As the pump seems to be about 15 years old, I suspect it's starting to fail. There's also a small leak at the pump exit connection. Finally, given my small filter, the 3/4 hp pump is a bit oversized and probably inefficient due to its age.

Anyone care to recommend a 1/2 hp pump?

Also, the pump is now on a standard 110 V AC, 15 A plug. Should I have the pump hard-wired to the box with the timer?

Thanks in advance for your help. Everyone on this board is great.
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Small Pump Recommendation?

The 1/2 HP Pentair WhisperFlo is very efficient for a single speed pump. There is some confusion about just how it compares to the 3/4 HP WhisperFlo. Pentair says that the 3/4 HP is more efficient, but an independent testing lab says the 1/2 HP is better. I suspect the spec table at Pentair's web site is wrong.

Wiring directly to the timer is preferred for a permanent install. Using an outlet is only recommended/code for storable pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School