Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tarp to go under metal frame post feet, or behind them?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tarp to go under metal frame post feet, or behind them?

Hi all. First post here. I am setting up an Intex 12'x30" pool and so far I've just finished cutting out the sod (with a shovel... my arms are tired!) Once I level the dirt (which is mostly clean with only a few small rocks that I've been picking out by hand) I will pack it and lay down a 14'square 8-mil tarp I bough off amazon. My question is, should I leave the tarp spread out such that the posts/feet rest on top of it, or should the tarp be bunched up behind the posts so the posts (and some sort of load-spreading paver/board) can go directly on the dirt?

Since everyone likes pictures, here is my progress so far.
    First evening before my arms gave out:

Second day:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tarp to go under metal frame post feet, or behind them?

I folded ours where it was covered and out of sight by the bottom of the pool.
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mac.dblues View Post
    I folded ours where it was covered and out of sight by the bottom of the pool.
    You mean like before the pool was set in place, you folded it over on itself to form an octagon? (dodecagon?)

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah basically. However, I had rolled roofing under my sand base for a weed barrier.

Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The posts can start to sink when water splashes out or it rains. (Even with the tarp between the. And the ground). Many of us use pavers underneath the posts, that need to be level with the ground, so they don't rub up against the liner.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I think I might go buy a couple cedar fence pickets and make some 6"x6" base-plates for the feet. I'm thinking I might just put everything on top of the tarp since the circle of sod I cut is 14', and my pool will only be 12', leaving a 1' perimeter of dirt/mud, so having the tarp cover it would look nicer.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd be careful using cedar. I just spent about $2000 on cedar siding on our hose remodel and that stuff splits easily. Most of us around TFP use concrete pavers.

8. Back To Top    #8

I second the pavers on undisturbed soil, not packed down.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

9. Back To Top    #9

Package delivery!

I decided to use some of 1" thick paver bricks I had laying around. I'm still undecided if I should put the tarp over the whole thing, or try to tuck it between the posts and the pool liner. right now I'm leaning towards just covering the whole ground, even though it will be tougher to position the legs on the pavers under the tarp.

Got it all nice and level though!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I'm not sure about the white framed ones, but my ultra frame legs kicked out just a bit as the pool filled and the liner expanded.

11. Back To Top    #11

If you cover all of your leveled ground, you can always cover the part that is exposed with mulch or washed river rock to make it more pleasing to the eye.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    I'm not sure about the white framed ones, but my ultra frame legs kicked out just a bit as the pool filled and the liner expanded.
    Yeah, everything fit together pretty loose. I may have to tweak the location of the blocks once it starts filling.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mac.dblues View Post
    If you cover all of your leveled ground, you can always cover the part that is exposed with mulch or washed river rock to make it more pleasing to the eye.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I thought about that, and I may put down mulch, but I'm trying to keep it as reversible as possible since I may move next summer. That's my main reason for not using sand as well.

14. Back To Top    #14

Up and running now.
    I decided to put the tarp over everything. Looks pretty good and covers most of the dirt.

Not bad for my first install. It's full now. The water level is pretty consistent all the way around, except one quadrant, where it's about 1.5" shallower. Strange. I thought I had everything level. Guess I missed a spot. Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Looks good! I'm sure your family is going to enjoy it. Make sure you've read pool school and get yourself a good test kit, you'll be amazed at how clear the water can be!