Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another New Guy

1. Back To Top    #1

Another New Guy

First, thanks a group for putting this site together.

I have had a pool for about 10 years but until this year I have had a pool company open it. I am opening this year for the first time. We live in Oklahoma.

The pool is 30,000 Gallons, 24x40 with a liner. It was not drained last winter but the water was lower. I have a mesh cover so lot of dirt get into the pool also the chemicals are almost non-existant. I have two quextions: I have heard that there is an order that you should add chemicals to you pool. I'm starting from almost pure water, which checmicals should be first?

Second, what is the best way/product to get the brown dirt stain our of my liner?

I appreciate any information I can get.
    20x40 inground pool with a liner. Shallow and deep ends, on skimmer, two jets.
    Hayward 3/4 motor and pump with a a hayward sand filter( I have no idea how old)
    A hayward, in-line chlorinator. Slide that the water doesn't work to so I've put a hose connection to it and run it from the pump when the grandchildren are here and a 6' diving board. We have our own water well and it does have a lot of iron in it.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Another New Guy

Welcome to TFP!

The best order to do things in varies depending on what your levels currently are. Typically, you want to make sure PH and TA are both plausible, they don't need to be ideal, but they do need to not be way off. Then start on chlorine and CYA.

CH and fine adjustments to PH and TA can wait till everything else has settled down.

If you post a full set of test results, we can make specific suggestions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Another New Guy

Welcome to TFP.

Please put your pool info/equipment specs (filter type, swg, inline chlorinator, etc.) in your signature, that way you won't have to repeat yourself whenever you have a question.

Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner