Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To deep clean my sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

North Alabama

To deep clean my sand filter

It's time for a deep clean. I've never done this before.

I read the sticky about deep cleaning a sand filter, but unsure which part I have to disassemble. Do the pipes have to come off? Or if I just unscrew the 6 bolts holding the multiport, will that reveal the sand?

saltwater generator - Hayward turbo cell
    Whisperflo multiport valve sand filter
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool (20x40 rectangular)
    Polaris 280
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: To deep clean my sand filter

You are going to have to cut the 3 pipes (and add union fittings to them). Then the entire top comes off (not the 6 bolts).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Minnesota

Re: To deep clean my sand filter

In the case of that type of sand filter, top mounted MPV, you have to remove the pipes to get complete access to the filter. One great advantage that side mount MPV filters have... On the right side, you could disconnect from the SWG at that fitting by unscrewing from the looks of it. Are there threaded fittings you can disconnect on the other two lines? Other wise, you'll have to cut the pipes and when putting back together, install unions so you can easily do it again if necessary:

Install a union on the SWG side as well so that you don't have a huge pipe hanging off the MPV would be best.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons