Conversion

arbrey, about your last two questions:
1 - Once you pass the OLCT with an FC of 15, then you clean the filter really well and replace the filter media. That's also when you are supposed to add stabilizer for a CYA of 30 and continue with an FC of 15 until you pass an OCLT 2-consecutive nights.
2 - No, you won't lose everything you've gained. It might slow things down slightly, but you can pick back up when you get back.

1. Yes. Without stabilizer in the water, it won't take long for the FC to decrease quickly. That said, you are on the right track, but not where you need to worry about this just yet.

2. You won't lose all your progress, but I'm curious why you don't want to leave the filter unattended. Is it still requiring semi-regular backwashing.

Running filter unattended goes with my mind set of not leaving the oven cooking unattended. I believe in Murphy's law. I've had a couple of hoses rupture on me when I wasn't here. Filter is holding pressure. Maybe it's just me. Lot of strange thinking as I get older (grin)

Ok it's been 9 days and the pool is definitely shown a marked improvement. I would post picture, but after the last software update of my phone, can't post picture. Will take care oft that later. Right now I'm obsessed with getting pool right!
Still monitoring on a hourly basis. Away yesterday shut down filter. Checked this morning FC=8, added cl iaw calc. Checked hour later FC=15.5. Checked hour later FC= 14.
Haven't passed OCLT as yet FC won't stay at 15. As of hour ago got following readings

FC=14
cc=1
ta=80
Haven't added to get CYA reading think that's about 15 all the way to top and I can still see dot.
Water is beautiful. If I think of anything else will edit post.
this CC thing i think is being caused by filter not being clean or my stairs? Stairs are held down with 150 lbs of sand filter, really can't take them out, that why I pay some one to open pool because of these stairs.
Tomorrow, plan on taking filter apart and do thorough cleaning. Any thoughts why CC can't come down?

With CC=>1, Your FC is still fighting something and will consume it faster. Have you scrubbed all the surfaces that come in contact with the water (I.e. ladder, skimmer frame, Weir, etc)? Are there any visible stains in the water or at the waterline? This is where a toothbrush may come in handy.

Guess i'm in trouble? There is no way to get at the stairs properly without going into water. Water is a little much too cold for me, unless I buy a wet-suit? And really can't move the stairs as they probably need to. Water is crystal clear and I see no stains. Have scrubbed everything I can get at several times. I have also vacuumed several times

There is something consuming the FC. Bear in mind that a SLAM typically assumes you have your pump running 24/7 until the end of the process. Realizing that you turn yours off from time to time, could make the process take a little more time.

I thought of your analogy, and I understand your trepidation, but it rings sort of an apples/orange comparison. What made those hoses rupture? How long ago? How old were the hoses? The filtertration system should be able to withstand 24/7 operation at least for a period of time. To me, not leaving an oven unattended is a no-brainer. It can reach temps of 700 degrees or more and is a fire hazard. It is not meant to operate without at least period monitoring. A pool filter pump is meant to largely set it and forget it, infomercial-rotisserie-style.

Be that as it may, your FC is trying to clear something as indicated by your CC level. If your CC wasn't 1, I'd suggest doing the evening test a little later and/or the morning test a little earlier to prevent any daylight from messing with the result.

Unfortunately, water temperature is a personal preference. I was in my pool yesterday at 75/76 degrees. When I was a kid I could swim at 68 or so. Not anymore. My wife won't touch the water until it breaks 80.

I'd wager there is little danger from the unstable chlorine if you get in the water in the evening, before you dose it up again. That said, I wouldn't use my Sunday best bathing suit ;).

OK I'm free for the next 3 days. I will leave the filter running 24/7. I know it's getting there . I'm with your wife! AAh to be young again. I remember getting to the ocean, put the towels down and run into the waves. Now there is no running and the most body I get into the surf is my feet.

I think I'm there?
Fc held at 15 overnight, CC is .5 or 0 depending how you look at it? Getting ready to add CYA.
here are my numbers
FC=15
CC= .5 or 0
PH= 7.6
TA=80
CYA= 10 . Solution is all the way to top of vial and I can still see the dot.
How soon after adding CYA can you swim in pool? Expecting very warm weather here in MA for the next few days. Swim season is not that long!
Now do I just let pump run until FC bleeds off to recommended level of 3-7

Congratulations, arbrey! did you get two days in a row w/CC less than 0.5? that is last hurdle, assuming of course the water is clear! I dont think CYA addition should bother swimming ability as long as you dont just dump it in. you might wait to hear from an expert here or search other posts on that. Good job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tnks it's been a long one . Using knee high stocking in the skimmer! "pookie" I want to thank you personally. Your color description of my water as Mountain Dew made me go on. I really was going to close the pool up and forget it. We've had a pool for 25 years. Didn't sleep the night before and made up my mind to talk to wife about closing it down. She's the one who uses it. Then I read your answer to one of my questions and it gave me the encouragement to press on. Every one on here has been a tremendous help .If you have a pool this is the place to go!

Assuming the water is clear, you are there. You can add CYA to increase your stabilizer to 30ppm. You also change your filter media.

Put it in a sock and put it in the skimmer. Every so often, give the sock a squeeze to release more dissolved CYA into the skimmer. I did a quick and dirty search for you to see if there was a faster way to dissolve CYA any quicker. See here. Your only other option is to get liquid CYA, which costs double the granular.

If your CYA is truly 10, It shouldn't take too long to get it up to 20. From there, you are good to swim with FC under 10.

Thank you for all the help! I couldn't have done without you guys! Now it's smooth sailing. Well almost, think the check valve on the pump is gone. Took it apart to clean and found a part in bottom of canister. Looks like the weight on the check valve. This morning checked the basket on pump and it's little cloudy. Oh well HAPPY FATHER"S day! Just need confirmation that my numbers are OK?

FC=8
CC=.5
PH=7.4
CYA= 35 My eyes lost dot between 30 and 40, so calling it 35
TA= 80

Frustration is born out of ignorance. The ignorance I experienced, was not knowing what to expect once I started my conversion. Thanks to you people it became clear. I have a beautiful pool and am still learning the testing procedures. Its been about 2 weeks now and numbers are looking good. Just have one question for now,
my CC is .5, has been since I completed conversion. Can I ever get it to 0? Read somewhere that one of user or expert like to run their FC between 5 anf 10. Based on that I decided to run mine at 8 as a goal. I have a lot of oak trees adjacent to my property, is that why I can't get CC to 0? Again thanks to ALL!

Bookmark Poolmath.

FC target and range is a function CYA. At CYA=30, your FC should be between 2-6. At CYA=50 FC should between 4-8.

CC could be any number of things, but CC=0.5 is acceptable. You may still have some lingering BQ lurking about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.