Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do you use to clean your cell?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Northern Howell, NJ

What do you use to clean your cell?

Diluted muriatic acid I guess is the cheapest. But is it the safest? Cells are expensive and I would rather spend a little more to do it right and safe as opposed to doing it cheap and possibly causing damage.

Is this stuff a complete waste of money? : BioGuard SaltScapes - Cell Cleaner : Patio, Lawn Garden

25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: What do you use to clean your cell?

I am starting season 5 with my SWG and I have never had to clean my cell. Every time I check it is clean and I never get the clean cell light. I believe the reason is because I work pretty diligently to keep my CSI between 0 and -0.3 to prevent scaling in the pool. I think this also works well to prevent scaling in the cell. Our water has a strong tendency to scale, everything in the house has scale build up, coffee pot, shower head, etc.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Long Beach, CA

It is best to spray the cell clean with water if you can and second best is to scrape it with a wooden object. The coatings are sensitive to scraping, hence use a wooden object to prevent scraping off the coating on the plates.

If those don't clean it enough, then water and acid are used. If the scaling is light you could try a 10:1 ratio of water to acid. The strongest ratio that should ever be used is 4:1.

I wouldn't bother with a pool product to clean the cell as it is most likely far cheaper to mix your own cleaning solution. You also know exactly what you are using to clean the cell.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4
    Miami, FL

i just use cheap white vinegar...
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart