Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Aeration to RAISE PH

Aeration to RAISE PH

My TA was up to 130, my PH 7.8. I used MA to lower my PH down to 7.2 and am now using my pressure washer to aereate the pool water to bring the PH back up to 7.8. This first process has lowered my TA down to 110. Ideally, I want to get it down to 80. I will need to do this process at least one more time (hopefully) to reach my TA goal. Can someone tell me approximately how long the aeration process takes?
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

Re: Aeration to RAISE PH

It is very difficult to predict how long aeration will take. How effective the aeration is depend on both the number of bubbles and their size (you want lots of small bubbles). Both of those are difficult to measure or describe, so it is difficult to compare one situation to another.

Extremely effective aeration will take hours, less effective aeration can take days to raise the PH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Hopefully, my process is extremely effective, then, LOL. That gives me some idea. Its up to 7.5 but doesnt want to go up any higher - darn. Will keep at it. Thanks bunches, and thanks so much for this great website!
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

I've found I get the best results by keeping the PH between 7.0 - 7.2.

I lower my PH to 7.0, aerate to 7.2, add more acid down to 7.0, rinse and repeat.

this takes a little more attention, but it does make it go faster.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

You can always let the PH rise on its own too. It takes longer but if your not in a hurry..........
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner, DIY Acid Dosing

how are you using your pressure washer to do that? are you also adding water to the pool or somehow using the pool's own water?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

Just hooking the hose up to the pressure washer. Yes, it adds water, but not all that much. Its mostly air/pressure. works great. I got rid of some water through "waste" on my filter, but it wasnt that much. I had a terrible problem with CYA two yrs ago when I had the pool put in(thanks to the pool store) but after converting to the BBB method last summer, finally got it into a more manageable 60 range and adding and removing water still helps it. My IG pool does not have "eyeballs" to turn up to help with aeration. I read somewhere on this forum where they used a pressure washer to raise their PH and I put it to use today. I dont take my PH any lower than 7.2 due to my vinyl liner. I dont like to take chances. The BBB method has helped me maintain a beautifully crystal clear pool. I am so glad I found this web site. I missesd my PS annual spring sale of chemicals - darn, tee hee.

I need to aerate my pool (TA is at 110) and I have an AquaGenie skimmer too. The skimmer is great, but there's no round return to hook up a fountain. How do you proceed with your pressure washer ? Do you just us it to spray all over the pool ?
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

As a fun pool toy, I made a bubbler for the pool. It's a length of 1/4" soaker hose zip-tied to a seven-foot piece of cement-filled PVC pipe for weight and rigidity. I connect it to my large air compressor, which is located in the garage, via 100' of air hose. With the pressure regulator set for 30 PSI, I get a solid curtain of tiny bubbles that is fun to swim through. It raises the pH measurably in just a few hours of use.

Here is a quick snapshot I just took of it in action. It's sitting in about five feet of water in this cellphone shot:
    [attachment=0:2r8isdmb]web.jpg[/attachment:2r8isdmb]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

Quote Originally Posted by el_steak
    I need to aerate my pool (TA is at 110) and I have an AquaGenie skimmer too. The skimmer is great, but there's no round return to hook up a fountain. How do you proceed with your pressure washer ? Do you just us it to spray all over the pool ?
    you probably already know this but acid is what lowers TA (and ph) and aeration raises your ph back up without raising your ta.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

Senior Member In the Industry

h2ctpdjl,

Unless I missed it in your sig, you don't have an SWG. It seems to me your TA of 110 is just fine. Am I overlooking something?
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    h2ctpdjl,

Unless I missed it in your sig, you don't have an SWG. It seems to me your TA of 110 is just fine. Am I overlooking something?
    The autocover. Higher TA can cause more of a pH drop in a covered pool since CO2 cannot outgas and remains in the water. The higher the bicarbonates the higher the potential for CO2 to form.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenoise
    As a fun pool toy, I made a bubbler for the pool.
    Bluenoise, that is awesome!
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

Great invention !

I'll try it. My air compressor is not rated for continuous duty and it tends to heat up quickly. Maybe I can come up with something using my shop vac.

Thanks for the explanation on the PH drop when you have a cover. Last year when I didn't have the cover, my PH would tend to increase rapidly instead (I have a SWG). I was puzzled as to why it is getting lower now. I guess the cover is the reason.
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

Question:

My PH is at 6.8 and I ran my spa blower for over an hour but did not raise. How long should it take to raise PH to 7.2 by aeration?
    12,000 gallon in ground pool with rock and spa water fall, Jandy Aqualink Controls, Polaris Cleaner with booster, Hayward C17502 cartridge filter. Managed by a TF - 100 Test Kit.

What is your TA?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

I used the hose that attaches my skimmer basket, hooked it to the one water return that my small pool has, and tied it to the ladder with two metal clips to flatten the end. This, strangely enough, raised my pH from 7.2 to 7.8 in an afternoon! I was quite happy and was able to add the pH Minus needed to lower my TA (that was 170) while only bringing my pH back to 7.2! Like I read before, rinse and repeat! So glad I found this site!!

PS: Sorry for the horrible cell phone photo...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex AG Round 15'x42" About 4600 Gallons.
    2650 Gallon Sand Filter Pump W/GFCI .
    K-2006 test kit.
    Here in the beautiful Southwest Michigan!

I am skeptical as to how well using a pressure washer would work as a tool for aeration. For one thing in moves a very small volume of water. I run a pool slide for usually 12 hours and it is probably putting out approx 30 gallons per minute. I think it would take forever using my pressure washer to aerate 21,000 gallons of water. (approximate amount aerated with my pool slide in time given.)
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44