Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Silly Newbie question-- what do I do with that plug/weight when vacuuming the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Silly Newbie question-- what do I do with that plug/weight when vacuuming the pool?

Hi. Sorry for the silly newbie question. I have two skimmers in my pool-- shallow end and deep end. I think the pool guy showed me that the shallow end skimmer already has one plug/rubber weight in it when you take the basket out. The other hole is free in that skimmer.

I now need to vacuum the pool manually. Do I put the second weight that he gave me in the second hole in the shallow end and connect the vacuum hose to the deep end skimmer, or put the second plug in the deep end skimmer and put the hose in the deep end skimmer?

Also, if I am vacuuming up a bunch of leaves, do those go directly into the basket that is just before the pump since I am bypassing the skimmers? I thought that basket was a "last resort" to catch things before debris gets into the pump? Or is it OK and that is what it's designed for when vacuuming?

Thanks!!
    32,500 gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Propane Heater, Pentair Racer robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Silly Newbie question-- what do I do with that plug/weight when vacuuming the poo

The goal is to maximize suction at the vacuum so you want to completely seal off the skimmer that is not being used. Plug the opening in the unused skimmer then attach your hose to the other skimmer. Leave the skimmer basket in the skimmer you're connecting the hose to to collect the big stuff before it goes into your plumbing.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Silly Newbie question-- what do I do with that plug/weight when vacuuming the poo

Hi. I don't think I can put the skimmer basket back in. I have to take the basket out to get at the ports, which I connect the hose to. I don't think I could get the basket back in once I attach the hose. Or am I misunderstanding?
    32,500 gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Propane Heater, Pentair Racer robot cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

You should have a skimmer cover plate that is the same diameter as your skimmer basket and fits on top of the basket and has a hole in the middle to attach your vac hose.
    24000gal IG, VL, 1.5 HP, Pentair 60/60D Sand 325#, BBB, Stenner45MHP2 (Replaced Liquidator), Dolphin M400

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by poolhound View Post
    You should have a skimmer cover plate that is the same diameter as your skimmer basket and fits on top of the basket and has a hole in the middle to attach your vac hose.
    Yes, something like this (but not necessarily this exact one, it should match your skimmer configuration). It will create a seal at the lip just above your skimmer basket:

Amazon.com : Pool Skimmer Large Skim Vac w/Rubber Gasket 1-1/2 Garden
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner