Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand New SWG Pool...What to do with testing???

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand New SWG Pool...What to do with testing???

We just got our pool installed last week. We went to local pool supply for water testing and bought what chemicals were recommended. But now I want to learn to do my own testing.
    WHERE do I start? What test kit is recommended? Any help would be appreciated.
    Teat461

14 x 31 fiberglass pool , 12,500 gal, SWG, Jandy Pro Truclear 3/4 hp pump, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand New SWG Pool...What to do with testing???

I would start by returning everything that the pool store sold you. The only thing you would really need to keep (which i buy at lowe's or home depot) is acid to lower PH and maybe some CYA. Enjoy!
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! Test Kit Comparison here for your reading: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Here is the most recommended test kit: TFTestkits.net

The K-2006 is also a good kit, but the TF-100 comes with more reagents and is a better value. TFT also sells K-1766 Taylor Salt Test (drop test) or Salt Test Strips - Aqua Chek to verify your salt levels. Once you get a kit, folks will assist along with the links in Pool School to get you up to speed.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick replies. What can I buy besides the pool supply chemicals? Someone told me to buy baking soda at Sams club and muriatic acid at Lowes.
    Teat461

14 x 31 fiberglass pool , 12,500 gal, SWG, Jandy Pro Truclear 3/4 hp pump, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm new here but I think you should get a good test kit first, test your water, post the results and someone will give you guidance on what to do next.
    Diamond Pool 20'x40' Lazy L, approx 33,000 gal vinyl liner, Hayward s244T filter, Pentair Intellichlor Ic 40( new May 2016) replaced computer pool cpsc35, inter mastic T40404R, A.O.Smith UST1152 super pump 1.5 hp, Hayward heater, not working or by-passed, Polaris 360

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the quick reply. Do I buy muriatic acid and if so what does it take the place of? Someone also told me to use baking soda (bulk from Sams Club).

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the quick reply. Do I also need to buy salt test strips with this kit? That is the one I was leaning toward because of recommendations on this site.
    Teat461

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by teat461 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Do I buy muriatic acid and if so what does it take the place of? Someone also told me to use baking soda (bulk from Sams Club).

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the quick reply. Do I also need to buy salt test strips with this kit? That is the one I was leaning toward because of recommendations on this site.
    If you have the test kit, the first step would be to test all the parameters of your water and post your results so advice can be given. Yes to a kit that will test salt since you have a swg. I use the Taylor k1766 not strips

Diamond Pool 20'x40' Lazy L, approx 33,000 gal vinyl liner, Hayward s244T filter, Pentair Intellichlor Ic 40( new May 2016) replaced computer pool cpsc35, inter mastic T40404R, A.O.Smith UST1152 super pump 1.5 hp, Hayward heater, not working or by-passed, Polaris 360

8. Back To Top    #8

Here ya go:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

BUT I really want you to read this a few times. It is a LOT of info. so take it tiny bites at a time:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

When you get your test kit and start using what you have read it will really all start coming together.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

You can't determine what your pool needs until you perform effective tests to find out what it already has.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School