Piecing together a TF-100 w/o actually buying a TF-100

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Howell, NJ
I know and understand that the TF-100 is the preferred and most recommended kit around these parts. But buying one and tossing what I currently have in the garbage seems wasteful. So what I am looking to do is buy individually what my kit doesn't have and what I am currently running low on. I bought a kit from Leslies before I discovered this site. Looking on their site now, it matches nothing I see, but is closest to the K-2005

This is what my kit currently has:

Chlorine: still have plenty of all
R-0001
R-0002
R-0003

pH:
R-0014 - Running LOW - Need refill
R-0015 acid demand - Rarely use
R-0016 base demand - NEVER use

Total Alk with test vial that has 5ml, 10ml, 11.5ml, 14.6ml, 20.5ml and 25ml marks (Why I have no idea as the 25ml is the only one used)
Still have plenty of all:
R-0007
R-0008
R-0009

CYA:
plastic bottle with 7ml and 14ml marks
test vial with black dot
R-0013 - Need refill - completely gone

Calcium:
same vial used for TA test
R-0010 - running low need refill
R-0011L - Have plenty left
R-0012 - already bought a large refill with Lots left

Note that my test vial for Chlorine and pH is one in the same with two square cylinders. The left side is the Cl and tests up to 5.0ppm using shades of PINK after adding 5 drops on R-0001 & 5 drops of R-0002 (unlike the TF-100 which uses something else that turns yellow?) The right side is the pH and uses 5 drops on R-0014 which I believe is same as TF-100

So seeing what I already have the big thing I need (want) is the Chlorine Test (FAS/DPD) which I know I can buy separately.

But the simple (OTO) chlorine test is different too than what I have. Being that I am not running low on my simple chlorine tests AND I can test for CC by adding 5 drops of R-0003 to get TC and then subtract FC from that (which by the way I've never seen it change colors), is it worth it or is their an advantage to get the simple OTO test that is provided in the TF-100?

SO.....
Get my refills + the FAS/DPD test separately and keep using my TC - FC = CC method for daily testing?
<OR>
Just buy the TF-100 and toss everything I have in the garbage?

OOF - Sorry for the long post. I hope y'all stuck with me.

Hi Mike. Long story short - you can still use the K-2005 equivalent. It will come-in handy for quick OTO tests, pH, TA, and probably some CH testing. Absolutely get the FAS-DPD, you're correct about that. Remember, we're all about accuracy AND saving money. :) Feel free to use what you have an replace/replenish as necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and don't forget the Speed Stir! You want that for sure.

I just purchased a reorder kit, was in the same boat as you pretty much.

I still have bottles with chemistry in them but went ahead and ordered a complete reorder kit. I was overdue.

I too am not a fan of throwing anything out for the sake of tossing it. As I use each of the tests I am going to test with both old and new. If old gives me the same result, I will use those old reagents up storing the new ones away until needed.
If the old doesn't give an identical result I am going to pitch toss away. I have everything marked so I don't get it confused, now it's just a matter of going through everything which will most likely be Saturday morning with coffee :)

I'd reorder only what you need and get the FAS-DPD test as well. Whatever it takes to get you through the rest of this season.

Then next spring when refills are usually on sale, purchase the full TF-100 refill pack. It's a great value. If the reagents don't fit in your current kit... check out this thread for some nice kit ideas: Show off your test kit!!

If you get the FAS/DPD, I suggest getting a separate 25 ml vial to use just for this test. The powder from this test will stain the vial and you don't want to use this with the other vial that tests TA and CH. If you order from TFTestkits, they will send you a vial: TFTestkits.net

If you get the FAS/DPD, you can skip refilling the OTO vials if you want to save money. I never test FC using the OTO.

The good news is that the Speedstir includes and extra cylinder:
TFTestkits.net

If you order the SpeedStir, I got an extra bar for use on the FAS/DPD. TFTestkits.net

- you can still use the K-2005 equivalent. It will come-in handy for quick OTO tests, pH, TA, and probably some CH testing.

See that's the thing, I am not sure what I have is an OTO test. Tell me if I am wrong but this is my understanding:
OTO = a yellow test when you only add one ingredient to sample and is in the TF-100
DPD (I believe what I have???) - is a PINK test where you add two reagents in order for sample to turn pink.

Both tests up to 5ppm to my understanding. Is there any advantage to the OTO (yellow) test?

Oh, and don't forget the Speed Stir! You want that for sure.

Not to mention a sweet tackle box set up like you have that I saw in the other thread! :)

I still have bottles with chemistry in them but went ahead and ordered a complete reorder kit. I was overdue.

This is also a concern of mine. My kit is a few years old. Some of the original reagents are probably like 4 years. I do keep them in the kitchen cabinet year round.

.... next spring when refills are usually on sale, purchase the full TF-100 refill pack. It's a great value. If the reagents don't fit in your current kit... check out this thread for some nice kit ideas: Show off your test kit!!

Yup - That thread has given me "kit envy". I really need to go this route as I have purchased 2oz refills of certain things in the past (Calcium reagent, CYA reagent). It is very annoying that I cannot keep them as part of my Blue Taylor Box which holds the .75 oz vials. I am looking for Tackle boxes right now on Amazon. Great suggestion on the spring sale. TY

You have the DPD not the OTO test. DPD can turn clear at high FC levels, OTO goes orange/brown. No point in getting the OTO if you have the DPD and are getting the FAS-DPD anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.