Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My pool is now nine years old. I live in Toronto so this is a seasonal pool that is open (or at least uncovered) from mid-May to early-October. In the winter it is covered with a mesh safety cover. It is a salt water pool so I rarely add "chemical" chlorine, if that matters. Other than upon opening each year the pool hasn't had to be shocked as it has been kept clean and clear.

The pool has the original liner and the pattern on the vinyl liner is starting to fade a bit, presumably from UV or bleaching. And in a few spots where the Kreepy Krawly gets stuck there is a bit of pattern wear but it doesn't seem to have worn a hole.

Other than that the liner looks fine and there aren't any holes that I can see. Should I be thinking about replacing the liner in the off-season in the next year or two or should I just keep going until I see any rips or tears? And if I replace the liner is it better to do it in the fall upon closing or in the spring upon opening? I would think in the spring.

Is there anything else that needs replacing after ten years? I have replaced my Jandy Aquapure salt cells a couple of times, but haven't replaced the paper cartridge filter, but that should probably be done soon. The pump and heater are still original although parts of the heater have been replaced.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it is one belief :cool:

You got a good run out of that liner for sure, but some folks have had liners much longer. Some much less. A low pH is the biggest thing that causes vinyl liner problems.

Consider if you plan ahead to change the liner you can do it off season and perhaps get a price break. And you won't have any mid-summer surprise leaks to ruin your summer.

Ok thanks. I will keep a close eye on it and not worry until I see a hole. Is a worn area the thing to look for?

As long as the liner feels pliable and not brittle it should be fine. Keep an eye on the areas where the pool cleaner gets stuck since that would probably be where a hole would pop up first unless you drop something into the pool that tears the liner.

Here's what we believe is a 18 year old liner still going strong! Ok, well not strong but still going. We drained the pool 2 years ago and its super crispy with countless pinholes in the bottom where rocks have make their presence known. It still doesn't appear to leak at all (no idea how with all the holes) but we will be replacing it next year most likely for cosmetic reasons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.