Severe rust in pool not caused by fill water

Just joined this forum and came across your thread. I am having some of the same problems you are having with my 3 year old Morada 24' Round Pool. Opened the pool in June,2016 for our 3rd Season only to find our Top Rails are all rotted in the area closes to the water and below them our Inner Stablizers that hold the Liner in place over the wall are rusted. Some of them so badly big chunks of rust have fallen off into the pool. Funny our Pools water was clear when we opened it. Had to go around with a Large Magnet with a nylon rope tied to it to fish out all of the rust that fell directly to the bottom below the Top Pool Rails and Inner Stablizer. Shocked it and ran the pool filter and of course all turned brown. Shocked it a number of times and vaccumed it until I ran out of last years shock so I bought some new shock and after about a weeks time from the beginning our pool is crystal clear. I believe you mentioned you are using a cartridge filter. Never had any luck with them. Switched to a Sand Filter many years ago and would never go back to the pain in the neck of using a cartridge filter that needs to be taken out all the time to clean it where as a Sand Filter only needs to be back flushed and I feel does a much better job of cleaning the water. We have been above ground Pool owners since 1988. Our first pool lasted us 25 years and only had 1 liner replacement during that time. Our biggest problem were rotted out Top Rails and Stablizers but it didn't happen until maybe 10-15 years down the road unlike what has happened with our 3 year old Morado Pool purchased from Namco/Branchbrook pools here in NJ. They have since closed all their NJ stores right after we purchased our newest pool. Our Morada Pool was manufactured by Wilber International. I have contacted the manufacture and they made good on the rusted parts but as of the moment they still haven't sent me all of the replacement parts. Cost me $340 just for shipping and a handling charge. Being it was in a 3 year time frame from when I purchased it October of 2012 all rusted parts were replaced free of charge. Its just something to come across this thread to see someone else is having problems with their 3 year old pool that I had to join the forum to tell you, you are not alone.

Thanks. Yeah, Wil Bar made mine too. Summerfield model with hybrid parts. The new parts cost me nearly $400 since I am in what they consider the 5th season. At the end of the season I am switching the parts. I decided that since the pool is clear now I can live with the ugly rails until the end and then replace. BTW, at the advice of one of the forum members, I will be painting the stabilizer rails and the underside of the top rails with a marine grade paint.

Curious if you replaced any of your inner stablizers as of yet or did you paint them as they were mounted still on the pool wall. I have at least 2 that I believe are completely rotted out. At this point I am wondering how to attack the situation. I believe I would probably have to lift at least 3 of them up off of the liner to try to disconnect them. Tried to get info from Wilbar but haven't heard back from them yet. I didn't install the pool the Pool Company Namco/Branchbrook gave us a list of installers they used when we purchased the pool 3 years ago. I have no problem changing out the Top Rails one by one. I already replaced 9 of them. I used a Liquid Loctite Extend Rust Treatment on 9 of the 16 stablizers that were still intact after sanding them while on the pool to knock off any loose rust before applying it. I am just trying to buy time before replacing them all. The New Top Rails I purchased are made of Resin. I paid a little more and got them as replacements. I was told that they make Resin Inner Stablizers also but was told they didn't have them so they sent me medal ones again. The same rust problem will probably happen in no time with the replacements and then my Warranty will not cover them at a 100% anymore. Disappointing. If anyone reading here knows anything about replacing the Stablizers that hold the liner over the wall with water in the pool please let me know if I could replace the couple of bad ones without letting the water out of the pool. I would like to know if I can take 3 Top Rails off and leave 13 on so that I can get to the rusted out top rails to replace them without the pool wall being damaged or breaking loose.

I have not replaced any of them yet. I have read here that some were able to do them 1 by 1 but I don't want to wreck the pool mid season so I am going to wait until the end of the season and do it. Multiple people have advised doing them 1 by 1 so that's how I am going to proceed. I am going to make sure that both the top rails and stabilizer rails are full coated though. I can't afford to keep replacing parts at this rate. I also thought I was going to have to replace the liner due to staining from the metal in the water, but have found that nearly all of the stains have come off with the use of a microfiber towel and a little elbow grease. I am guessing that the metal free that I put in and the CONSTANT filtering for the last month broke down the stains.

So to update, I was going to close the pool this weekend due to a leak in a filter joint that I didn't feel like dealing with. At the same time decided to replace the rails so I wouldn't have to deal with it next season.
For anyone who is even thinking about doing the stabilizer rails, DO NOT DRAIN THE POOL. Completely unnecessary. I was able to to replace the stabilizer rails one and 2 at a time and was done in a matter of a few hours including installing the new top rails and did not drain 1 drop of water out of the pool. The key for me was making sure I used a rubber mallet to make sure the rails were completely in place. When I got to the last 2 I had about an inch to maneuver the last rail in place and then did a final pass all the way around the pool to make sure they all stayed in place. Had I known how easy it was going to be I would have done it as soon as the parts arrived. I even repaired the filter the same day seeing as it was going to get hot again and I had extra time to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.