First Fill New Hot Tub

Terv

Apr 28, 2016
Canada
I just want to check that I am using the Pool Math calculator corrrectly.

New 315 US Gal hot tub.
Sanitizing with Bromine to allow for not testing the water every day due to holidays and those extremely cold days when we don't venture outdoors.
Usage will be two people, shower before each use, non-laundered bathing suits, 2-4 times per week on average.

Initial cleaning:
Fill with tap water.
Shock 4 oz of HTH Liquid Shock (10% sodium hypochlorite) to get 10 ppm FC.
Turn power on to the hot tub and set temperature to 90F.
When the temperature reaches 90F add Ahh-some.
Run pumps hourly with air and scoop out foam until clear.
Drain, rinse, drain until water runs clear.

First Fill:
Fill with tap water using a garden hose pre-filter cartridge.
Shock 2 oz of HTH Liquid Shock (10% sodium hypochlorite) to get 5 ppm FC.
Turn power on to the hot tub and set temperature to 100F.
Balance the water (pH 7.5, TA 60ppm & CH 100) as per Trouble Free Pool methods.
Add 11 oz Gentle Spa to get 30 ppm borates.
Add sodium bromide to establish a 30 ppm bromide bank.
Add floater set to one (1) with 2-3 BCDMH pucks.
Adjust floater to maintain bromine at 3-5 ppm (Health Canada guidelines).
Weekly - add 1/8 teaspoon Ahh-some to keep the plumbing clean. (Ahh-some's recommendation is to dip your baby finger into the jar and swirl it around in the hot tub)

Shock:
After every use. - Not sure how to determine how much chlorine (10% sodium hypochlorite) to add.
Weekly - Add 2 oz of HTH Liquid Shock (10% sodium hypochlorite) to get 5 ppm FC.
Monthly - Add 4 oz of HTH Liquid Shock (10% sodium hypochlorite) to get 10 ppm FC.

Have I got this right?

How do I determine how much chlorine to shock with?

Yes, I have read both the bromine and chlorine several times.

I spoke with the Ahh-some CEO and he said a finger dab once a week would keep the plumbing clean.

Hot Tub Serum makes a product called Total Cleanse that I suspect is a watered down version of their product similar to Ahh-some. The 'Total Cleanse' is designed to be added weekly as hot tub plumbing preventatlve maintenance. Seeing first hand what Ahh-some removed from my hot tub and knowing sanitation levels can fluctuate however briefly below 1 ppm (bromine or chlorine) I am leaning toward using a small amount of Ahh-some on a weekly basis to help keep the hot tub clean and safe. In theory, if two people use a spa for 30-45 minutes that has a bromine level of 3ppm (Health Canada's minimum) is the bromine level not likely going to dip below 1ppm untill it is shocked or until the bromine pucks raise the bromine level? To me it is better to keep out the biofilm than purging to remove it.

Sounds like you've got it right.
The amount of chlorine to add after use will vary (how much your floater tabs have been putting out is a variable) but 5 oz. seems to be the number that works for my 350 gal. tub. (5.3% household bleach)
It's usually just me in there for 45 min.+/- but I don't usually shower 1st so I prob equal 2 showered users. :-?
You might start with less because it often takes mine more than 24 hrs. to drop below 10ppm so I can't use it the day after that "shocking". I'd try 2 oz. of 10% or 4 oz. of 5.3% after use and see where that gets you.
You might also skip the floater tabs except when you'll be away from home. You'll have more control over your chlorine level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.