Jun 7, 2016
Gatesville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

Thank you you for taking the time to read this request for help. Your input is greatly appreciated!

We we have an above ground, vinyl, 30" deep x 15' pool that we have placed at our home in Minnesota. We've filled it with 2,780 gallons of well water. Based on other calculators suggested from the tht product from Walmart (I know . . . Now). After buying incredible array of chemicals yesterday and treating the pool with 7 lbs of ph decreaser (thank you other calculator) we have brought the ph too low (I believe). We haven't opened all the product we purchased so I'm hoping with your feedback I will be able to take some of it back.

i used the pool math calculator, and based on the following levels, received instruction to add 5.8 oz of bleach and 28oz of washing soda.

Current levels (with strips, and I will be ordering a better test kit today):
FC: 3
Ph: 6.8
TA: 180
TH: 150
CA: 0

my biggest visual concern is that the water is completely green. I picked up some clarity liquid and alge liquid to help with cloudiness, but I'm unsure if that's the answer to our problem. We just filled it up so I wouldn't think alge can grow in half a day but maybe that's not right. We have some 90 degree days coming up and I'd love for my girls to have some pool time.

Apprciate your help!!

Welcome to TFP!

Wow, there is a lot going on there! No clarifier or algaecide.

PH needs to be between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.
Add 30 ppm of CYA/stabilizer in a sock
Keep FC at target for your 30 ppm CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

I would give the pool a few days to clear up since you just filled it.

Use Poolmath link above to calculate correct dosage for your chemicals. Here are the chemicals we use and how to add them to your pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

This is how we kill algae if you do have it, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

You will need one of the recommended test kits, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. It is the best value and gives you the most tests for the money.

Start here in Pool School to learn how we take care of pools.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Then head here
Pool School - Getting Started

Thanks so much for the reply, @pooldv.

Based on the calculations for correct dosage and treatment I've gone ahead and put in the bleach and stabilizer in the sock. It's currently hanging in front of the return of the pool. We'll get Borax tonight ot help with the PH. I'm hoping once we get back to the correct PH and we continue to use the pump that all the water will circulate and get cleaned up.

One of our daughters is having a birthday party this weekend and we're hoping the kids will be able to use it.

Thanks again for your help!!

Hello all! Back again for more help. Day 4 and pool is still green. We've been testing and adding chemicals as needed (per PoolMath). We changed the filter on Monday, and today we checked again, finding the filter completely brown. I'll attach a photo below. I'm thinking we're now on the back side of alge having grown in the pool, not adding enough chlorine at the beginning. Dang it.

Here red are our current levels:
FC-1 (total today I've added 22oz over the course of the day, and 12 oz yesterday)
Ph-7.2
TA-180
TH-300
CYA-30-50

i have kids coming on Saturday that are hoping to swim, I think SLAMming would take more than 2 days to get it to appropriate swim levels, correct?

Your advice is appreciated!!

Last edited:
You're not performing a SLAM procedure to kill algae if all you're adding is 22 ounces of liquid chlorine over the entire day. You're just tickling the algae in the water with that and they're giggling.

Adding 22 ounces of 8.25% bleach will only raise your FC by 4.4 in a 3300 gallon pool.

Please read how to SLAM a pool- its a process not a one time dose of medicine: SLAM Process

Since your pool is small this is a must read and may help you- Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

That FC at 1 is guaranteed to let algae grow. FC has to stay above minimum for your CYA of 30, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], at all times for the pool to be sanitary, especially with kids, and not let algae grow.

Add enough bleach to raise FC to shock level for CYA of 30, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], brush and test and raise FC again every hour or two. Hopefully this will clear up the pool in a couple of days. The more you brush the better.

You're not performing a SLAM procedure to kill algae if all you're adding is 22 ounces of liquid chlorine over the entire day. You're just tickling the algae in the water with that and they're giggling.

Adding 22 ounces of 8.25% bleach will only raise your FC by 4.4 in a 3300 gallon pool.

Please read how to SLAM a pool- its a process not a one time dose of medicine: SLAM Process

Since your pool is small this is a must read and may help you- Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Thanks for your response. I am aware that I'm not currently shocking the pool - I should have been more clear that I was wondering if that's what I need to do. Being that I continue to add that amount daily to raise it 4.4 tells me that it's getting soaked up bye alge, and as you said, isn't enough to knock it out by any means.

Thanks us for the season pool link, I had read the ABC's article but hadn't made it to that one yet.

- - - Updated - - -

That FC at 1 is guaranteed to let algae grow. FC has to stay above minimum for your CYA of 30, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], at all times for the pool to be sanitary, especially with kids, and not let algae grow.

Add enough bleach to raise FC to shock level for CYA of 30, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], brush and test and raise FC again every hour or two. Hopefully this will clear up the pool in a couple of days. The more you brush the better.

thanks so much! I was wondering how often it is accurate to test after adding chlorine. I had been waiting 6ish hours thinking it needed time to dispurse throughout the entire pool. I'll work on this tomorrow morning after measuring levels again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.